Monday, September 3, 2007

A Season of Thoughts...

Nancy and I decided to spend this Labor Day holiday in a quiet way, reflecting on our loved ones, the sacrifice of those deployed around the globe and just how fortunate we are to live in this great country. You can probably tell from my blog, we have not heard from Chris since his email last Wednesday...more on that in a little.

For us and many others, Labor Day is typically the unofficial end to summer where we turn our eyes toward the fall season and all that goes with it. As I spend time with family, friends and co-workers I am fascinated by each one's perspective on their thoughts for the season and what's important to them.

Many share stories of sending their kids to school - some for the first time, some talk about their favorite football team and how they will fare this season, some speak of the weather and the welcomed relief the fall will bring...others look forward to engagements, weddings and upcoming holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. All important events in their lives that I am glad they can rejoice in and share with me. Now, compare that to my thoughts...could they be any different?

My thoughts are of my 19 year old son who is deployed to Iraq in one of the most complex and hostile combat urban environments in Iraq...of how he will deal with his first contact with the insurgents and the PID (Positive Identification) requirement he will have to deal with...of the emotional and physical stress that these men and women are under 24x7 as they adjust to combat operations in an unforgiving climate...of how Chris will deal with his emotions if or when a fallen angel occurs in the 2SCR...of the items he needs from us to make his life a little more comfortable...of the Gen. Petraeus report and what it will mean, if anything, to the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment...

These are my thoughts...very different from those around me...and I'll be honest...some days they are not pretty nor am I proud of them - but make no mistake, I am proud of Chris and every member of the 2SCR for their commitment, sacrifice and courage. I am so blessed to be a part of the support group that Marti has built and the insight they provide from their warriors - I would not want it any other way.

As I said early on, this is going to be raw at times...so be it...I am struggling a little right now as it's been some time since we have heard from Chris. I trust that he is fine, God is in control and he is surrounded by an army of angels...but I still doubt and wonder during the quiet moments...

I love you Chris and my thoughts and prayers are with you and the 2SCR every day...drop us a note when you can and...be safe...

How 'bout you? What does your season of thoughts look like?

v/r,
- Collabman

2 comments:

Marti said...

I would like to share not my season of thoughts, but David's. I found this is one of his journals. Coincidentaly, it is dated September 3,2000, seven years ago today.

The urban jungle screams my name and as the lights fade my senses highten and I see beautiful things that most people shun. The junkie with his emotion torn soul. The homeless man with no place to go and do I help, no. But, I write, draw and hear their beauty. I see their shapes and my mind creates a geometry of its own. And I close my eyes and cry while I:they long to die, but I'm alive and I strive and I live to be me because I like to love to see what I see.
David Jentis

David wrote these thoughts after arriving at Pratt and being there for a week. This was the beginning of his season of thought of the things surrounding him at the time.

Collabman said...

Thanks Marti...what a vivid picture David paints through his words...very powerful...

v/r,
- Collabman