Sunday, September 9, 2007

A Nondescript Box...

As I sit and watch football on a Sunday afternoon, my mind is not too far away from our warriors on the ground in Iraq. As I quietly let the day slip away...I wonder what Chris' day has been like? I wonder if he even knows it is Sunday? I would guess that his days are measured by completed and/or upcoming missions...and down time. I doubt there is anything during combat operations that resembles a normal work week...

As I surfed the web today, I was encouraged to see the outpouring of love and concern for our service members. How important is a package you send to a warrior in Iraq, Afghanistan, or elsewhere? Check this story out and note...one of the soldiers on the receiving end of this kindness is from the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment...

----------------------------------------
Local Charities Reach Out to Service Members Half a World Away

By Pfc. Giancarlo Casem
50th Public Affairs Detachment

CAMP ARIFJAN -- They arrived in boxes, nondescript cardboard boxes. What those boxes contained however meant the world to their final recipients.

The Navy Expeditionary Medical Facility-Kuwait Theater Transient Hold Detachment received a shipment of clothes from charities and churches from the U.S., Aug. 31.

“I was very excited,” said Sgt. Reginald Frye, a combat medic with the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment based out of Vilseck, Germany. “All I had when I got here were the clothes on my back. It helped me out financially because I didn’t have to spend money out of my pocket.”

Frye, a native of Kansas City, Mo., is one of the service members currently recuperating from injuries at the TTHD. The TTHD houses injured service members from Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom....

----------------------------------------

How great are these folks sending these care packages...known only by the contents of their package? Just ask Sgt. Frye...

If you are interested, you can read the rest of the article and see the photos by clicking here.

Another week gone by...another week closer to seeing the 2SCR return...how are you doing?

v/r,
- Collabman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Collabman! You know there isn't much we can do for our individual soldiers besides send them care packages from home. Having my son over there certainly has encouraged me to remind those around me we still have loved ones over there fighting. Our duty as Americans who reep the benifits from their fighting, we should do what we can to support them. This is another way we can reach out and do that. I'm on board, Any others?
Terrie, Matt's Mom

Anonymous said...

little shoes and a big heart...

My four year old son "E" while too young to serve, is a little warrior at heart. To hear his momma tell her friends, "he's all boy". As a regular on the receiving end of his rough housing, I'd have to agree ;)

Little "E" sits with me every day as I read the paper, and he always asks "dad, are there any stories about the soldiers?" And without fail we pour over every story while he scrutinizes the pictures. He has lots of questions, and I answer them as best I can; and knowing he won't always want to sit with his dad, I relish the time spent.

Fast forward to this weekend, momma took him shopping for his first day of preschool tomorrow. He was thrilled to show me his most favorite purchase, you can view it here:
http://tinyurl.com/3yh5lv

When I asked why he chose them, I expected to hear about some new cartoon he stumbled on, or a neighbor kid had them, or...; I was way off.

"Dad, these help me to remember the soldiers we read about every day."

Hooah little buddy!

Collabman said...

TL - thanks for sharing the picture and the story of "E"...it made my day! ;-)

v/r,
- Collabman