Monday, September 17, 2007

Fights On...


Two words...they jumped to my mind and caused me to catch my breath as I read the press release on Operation Dragon Talon II....

Fights on...

Check out this release from Multi National Force - Iraq...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RELEASE No. 20070916-11
September 16, 2007

Clearing Continues: Dragons & Dragoons Begin Operation Dragon Talon II in Rashid

Multi-National Division – Baghdad PAO

BAGHDAD — Multi-National Division-Baghdad Soldiers and Iraqi Army troops captured four suspected terrorists in the first day of Operation Dragon Talon II. The operation kicked off in the southern part of the Iraqi capital in the early morning hours of Sept. 16 with targeted raids against terrorist suspects.

Troops from the 3rd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 3rd Iraqi Army Division, the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment “Dragoons” and 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team “Dragons,” 1st Infantry Division worked together to conduct clearing operations and make the arrests.

The two units will maintain their cooperation as Dragon Talon II continues in the Rashid District.

Elsewhere, on Sept. 15 Soldiers from the 2nd Squadron, 2nd SCR, operating in East Rashid, were attacked by terrorists while on an evening patrol. In the ensuing fight, one insurgent was killed by small arms fire.

Earlier in the day, troops from 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment “Warriors” captured a cache consisting of five pounds of C-4, several large bags homemade explosives and blasting caps while conducting operations in the Doura region of the district. Three individuals were detained for questioning during this operation.

“We’ve seen positive results in the early going of Dragon Talon II,” said Col. Ricky D. Gibbs, commander of the 4th IBCT. “We’re working closely with the Dragoon Soldiers and our (Iraqi Security Force) counterparts to prevent the extremist actors from imposing their will in Rashid by getting leaders, organizers and financiers off the streets and into custody.”

---------------------------

Chris, we are fervently praying for you and the rest of the 2nd SCR!

We love you buddy - be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

4 comments:

CharlestonGirl said...

Goose bumps, heart in my throat, unexpected watery eyes, praying that the Lord holds them safely in the palm of his hand throughout this deployment. Thank you for sharing, even the things like this, especially things like this. I have never experienced such physical response to reading written word. Blessings, Lisa

Marti said...

We keep hearing that things are getting better, but it is reminders like this that we can't get a false sense of confidence. The veteran soldiers always remind our first deployees (is it a word?} not to let their guards down. Important for them to remember. I'm happy to hear about the cooperation between the armies.
M&N, I know how you feel when you hear 2nd squadron, David is in that one too. Scares the pants off of me.
How are the two of you holding up?

Collabman said...

Lisa and Marti - we are on the road to visit my folks and celebrate my dad's 74th birthday. I turned on my laptop tonight after we got in and the info hounds hit me with this press release...

I quickly skimmed looking for the 2/2 and there it was...jeez! Nice way to start our trip, eh? Made my heart race a little and fear appeared out of no where - but we are ok.

We haven't heard from Chris for almost two weeks now...my instincts tell me the 2/2 has their hands full...so we will continue to watch and wait.

It is a great comfort to us to know we are on this journey with you all - and to know our warriors are well trained...

How you guys doing? At times these articles are hard to read...yet, I want to know...its the least I can do...

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

M, thanks for sharing. Like you say, these are hard to read, but we want to know!! All I can say is God be with our Soldiers!!!
Terrie, Mom of 3/2 SCR Soldier Matt