Monday, September 10, 2007

Washed with the Tears of Americans...

On the eve of 9/11, there is so much on my heart right now I am not sure where to begin...

How about with this...I awoke this morning with a scowl at sunrise...I can only guess what my wife thought when she saw my face - a scowl that painted a clear picture - I was unhappy...and I am not really sure why. Well, maybe that's not being completely truthful. Ok, here is what is eating at me...see, I had it all figured out. You know, since it was 2007 the technology being used by our forces in Iraq would allow us to hear from Chris every two or three days...maybe four at most depending on the ops tempo. I could deal with that...we would get emails with photos that we could look at over and over...even run my thumb over his face to maybe feel a little closer and sense in a small way what Chris and the warriors of the 2SCR were experiencing. Of course, I also had in my mind that we would talk on the phone every so often - and what an encouragement it would be to hear his voice, ask questions and know that he was okay...but I fooled myself...jeez, I could kick myself for figuring it all out...in my mind.

Do I miss hearing from Chris - you bet I do. Do I wish their internet access was fast and efficient to access? Absolutely! However, the cold hard facts are...that's not the way it is now and I have to adjust...I need a bucket-load of patience...and trust that God is in control and Chris is surrounded by a legion of angels. Man, this is not easy - but who said it would be?

Thanks for letting me vent...

As we prepare to remember those who lost their lives six years ago on 9/11, I was reminded in an email today of the great story of the USS New York and how steel salvaged from the World Trade Center wreckage was used in her construction...

"Our company will treat this steel with dignity and respect," said Dr. Philip A. Dur, president, Northrop Grumman Ship Systems. "This piece of steel has been washed with the tears of Americans and hardened by millions of prayers from around the world. It is our hope that we can bring strength and victory to this steel and to the whole of LPD 21, and that the spirit of the people who represent her namesake state will fill her future crews with pride and bravery.

Curious if this story is true? Click here to read the urban legends update. Also, if you have time, click here to read the wikkipedia article on the USS New York...what a fascinating story.

Finally, here are two fresh images of a member of the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment...maybe you know him?

v/r,
- Collabman

3 comments:

Marti said...

I'm with you on the communication issue. Who knew that a country that could send men to space would be incapable of allowing our soldiers to keep in touch, just to give us piece of mind and a few minutes of being home for them.
Yeah. tomorrow marks 6 years ago that this all began. Some will dress in red, white and blue for the day, but for those that lost loved ones then and continue to do so in the two theaters of war that we fight will remember that day for a lifetime, not just a day. I pass the site often and each time I remember the excitement with which those towers were first built. A dear friend worked on one of the top floors in tower one and we always laughed when he would tell us how people got panicky when the building would sway in the wind. They were built to do that. Who ever thought we would now watch those towers being built again, but without the excitement.
As we remember tomorrow, we have to remember also, the brave men and women who enlisted during wartime. They did it for us and to them I tip my hat.

Scott Koen said...

Check out www.ussnewyork.com
Thanks
Scott Koen

Deb B said...

I am trying hard not to grieve the lack of communications and to understand that my soldiers first allegence is now to his young wife left all alone in Germany but as a mom it is so hard. Life is so much less without him here but my heart continues to swell with such pride that he has choosen to defend our freedom against those that would even consider such an assault of so many innocent people on 9/11.
Military service is such a high and honorable calling. We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude for all our brave servicemen. I'm tryin to hang in there and it certainly helps to here from you all.
Deb B