Thursday, September 6, 2007

Hot Steel on Target...

I trust your day was a good one - either way, leave me a comment and let me know how you are doing. Based on the emerging news that my info hounds are uncovering, the 2SCR is in the fight and...I am not sure a transition has taken place. Nothing like hitting the ground moving...

Before we take a look at some headlines from the 2SCR, let me welcome two warriors - Jacob M. and Scott K. to our Wall of Heroes. Once I get some additional info from their loved ones I will finish updating their entries. Remember, if there is a blue link - click on it for a photo or additional information about their current job.

I love being able to place a name with a face as I pray for these courageous young men and women. We are proud of the service and sacrifice of Jacob and Scott...and we are so thankful to have their loved ones as part of our support group. Every ear, eye and virtual shoulder is welcomed. Interested in having your warrior added to the 2SCR Wall of Heroes during their deployment? Contact Marti at mljtexas@yahoo.com

Is your warrior with the 2/2 SCR in vicinity of Camp Taji? Check this report out...this is what it means to put hot steel on target...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RELEASE No. 20070905-16
September 5, 2007

MND-B Apache Crews Engage RPG Firers
Multi-National Division – Baghdad PAO

CAMP TAJI, Iraq – Multi-National Division-Baghdad attack helicopter crews killed three insurgents Sept. 4 in a building in south Baghdad from which rocket-propelled grenades had been fired on Coalition Forces.

The Apache crews from 4th “Guns” Battalion, 227th Aviation Regiment, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, responded to request for support from 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, which reported receiving RPG fire from a building.

The Apache crews were cleared to engage the building by the ground unit, and fired one Hellfire missile that malfunctioned and landed in an abandoned area west of the target. There were no injuries or collateral damage caused by the missile, according to an assessment by 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division.

The crews fired another Hellfire that hit the building, killing three insurgents. There were no civilians killed in the attack.

The aircrews conducted a battle handover with another air weapons team from 4-227th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion, and those crews continued to provide security for the ground forces from 2/2 SCR.

--------------

I am so grateful for the close air support (CAS) provided to the 2SCR by units like the 4th “Guns” Battalion, 227th Aviation Regiment, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division...thanks guys!

Also, I noted this entry on the Courier Press blog from a young warrior with the 2SCR...

Soldier in Iraq Invites Letters

So, this is the third letter I've written to The Gleaner. The two previous were met with overwhelming response, and I appreciate your letters and prayers.

Yours truly is now in Baghdad, Iraq, at Camp Liberty. I am doing my best serving my country, and loving it....

To read the entire blog, click here. Note his reference to a return date for the 2SCR....

These are the headlines that caught my attention...so tell me...what are you hearing and what have you seen?

Also, I welcome your comments and thoughts about this type of information on my blog - useful or not? You be the judge...

v/r,
- Collabman

2 comments:

Marti said...

I am reading this at 6:18 AM and realized I really had been looking for any news about the 2/2. Well, there it is in the article. Of course, this may not have been David's platoon but now I know the 2/2 has put foot to ground even though David had already told me they had. He also told me the flyboys come as soon as they are called. If you think of it like the police call "OFFICER IN TROUBLE" they respond quickly. Thanks for finding the article.

Marti said...

I forgot thanks to the flyboys for covering our boys and girls.