Wednesday, September 26, 2007

School of the Trooper...

So, how are you all doing? For us, all is quiet which I take as a good sign. After a flurry of press reports and photos on the 2nd SCR earlier in the week...nothing since then. The info hounds have turned up a few odds and ends but nothing worth writing home about. I will attribute this to the work our warriors are doing day in and day out on patrol in the streets of Baghdad.

I did run across a short video that you might find interesting. You may even spot one of your warriors....

Here is the setting...

Video Location:
Baghdad

Date Taken:
09-26-2007

Unit(s) Involved:
2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment

Submitting Unit:
7th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment

U.S. Soldiers, part of the new wave of troops arriving in Iraq, take part in the first School of the Troopers which include classes about first aid, escalation of the forces and the unit's history. Scenes include an officer speaking to the troops, an interview with an officer speaking about the day, and the troops asking questions.

Enjoy and keep those cards and letters coming...don't stop sharing...stay strong...this is a marathon...

v/r,
- Collabman

6 comments:

Marti said...

Thanks for asking. I seem to be doing ok. I think the initial fear and panic, although still there, have worked themselves into my battle rhythm. What that is, I can't say for sure. All I know is that I am functioning better and am actually up to about 4 hours of sleep a night. Maybe settling in happened with the death of Spc. Walker. I realized that no matter how much I am not functioning the way I should is not going to change any outcomes. There are just somethings as a parent that are absolutely out of our control and that being a zombie is not going to help. I have accepted that when I don't hear from David it is because he is doing his job and that if he were able to be in touch he would. Does it still frighten me? Sure does and will until his feet are once again planted in Germany. I decided that keeping up the way I was going was going to put me into a funny farm and then who would be there to welcome David home? So, back to the original question, how am I?
Better, because it is one day closer to home.

Anonymous said...

FYI. And all the best.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2007/09/counterinsurgency_in.php

Cale's mom said...

I agree with Marti. While news is sparse, we have to cherish what little we get and move through the day. Cale emailed that he is moving to a different part of Baghdad but no details on what that means so I take that in, try to process it, and focus on what I can control. I spent a day with a group of Marine families sewing Christmas stockings for the troops. The goal is 10,000 to go to all branches of deployed military. We're already over 11,000 with more sewing days to come! I know it's a small thing but to spend the day with moms and dads with the same fears, sharing stories of our kids, letting my hands perform the same task over and over, freed my mind to be closer to my son. It was the first time I felt even a little useful to him since they left Germany. I guess supporting our brave warriors and each other is what will get us through.
Robyn

Collabman said...

Marti - thanks for sharing your thoughts...Nancy and I can identify and it helps to hear that we are not alone...

Thanks!

v/r,
- Collabman

Collabman said...

Worried friend - thanks for sharing.

I agree...the soldiers of the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment are currently engaged in a tough battle with al Qaeda in Iraq in their AOR.

We continue to pray for all of the warriors from the 2nd SCR.

v/r,
- Collabman

Collabman said...

Robyn - thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate hearing from you...it's an encouragement to Nancy and I.

I also appreciate your work sewing Christmas stockings for the troops. Wow! 11,000+ !!!...and more to come. The troops who receive these will be very thankful...Thanksgiving AND Christmas in Iraq...this will mean a lot to them!

Well done!

v/r,
- Collabman