Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Road to Iraq....

Okay, lets get right to it. I will be the first to admit it - today was pretty tough. I caught my emotions and thoughts lingering in the shadows just waiting to pounce on me - why? Chris is still in Kuwait getting ready. Why was it so tough to keep my mind from jumping on that road to Iraq...moving north into Baghdad and picturing what lies ahead? I could almost feel the sweat rolling down my face...the tension of wondering how good the intelligence will be for their first mission...wondering what they might be walking into...wondering if the insurgents will attempt to influence the September report from Gen. Petraeus and whether Lt. Gen. Thurman was right..."I’ll venture to say you’ll face a fight as soon as you hit the ground..."

Jeez...I was just sitting in my office. Wow, I hope I am not the only one experiencing these feelings...am I? For those I work with - thanks! Thanks Jen for taking the time to ask the simple question "M, how you doing?" Thanks Duey for stopping by for a minute and asking "How's your boy?" Those questions are a tremendous source of encouragement and tell me that I am not alone in this...even though today...for the first time, I felt a little alone. I am so thankful that God gives me strength through the tough days and the good days...they all count...

Thanks also to Marti for reaching out and beginning to build the support group for the 2SCR...and to Contessa for sharing the URL for the short video of the farewell ceremony where the colors were cased. If you have not seen the video, take a moment and visit the AFN Europe website here to watch it (use the IE browser to ensure it plays). I thought the video was well done and I found myself searching the ranks looking, hoping to see Chris - maybe your soldier is in the video...look closely if you will...and listen to the words at the end of the clip from Lt. Gen. Thurman.

Finally, at the end of the day I was encouraged by the video below that shows the camaraderie exhibited by the men and women of the 2SCR...The Road to Iraq...Together we Fight, Dominate and Win...

v/r,
- Collabman

4 comments:

Marti said...

Hi Myron,
It's so true about the raw emotion and when it will hit. Tonight, while I was watching Jeopardy, all of a sudden the tears just began running. I was thinking about all the times Davids's dad and I played Trivial Pursuit with him when he was a little boy. At six, he knew more trivia then most adults I know. You know what? He still does. These are the memories that will take us through.
Marti

CharlestonGirl said...

Thanks for this. My emotions are all over the place too. You are not alone in this. I will write more when I get a chance, maybe later today. You are helping me so much just by reading your words, feelings, fears. I appreciate you and I admire your courage and that of these young men. Lisa

Collabman said...

Lisa - thanks for the words. Marti has started a support group for the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. If you would like to be included please post your email address in a comment here so we can see it and add you to the list.

Hang in there and be strong! We are all in this together!

v/r,
- Collabman

CharlestonGirl said...

That sounds great! Please add me. My email addy is acharlestongirl@gmail.com Please feel free to contact me there and I would love to be included in your group. Thanks so much!