Thursday, August 16, 2007

On Edge...

Ever have a day where your schedule gets changed or doesn't work out the way you had it planned in your mind? That was how my day unfolded this afternoon...and it put me a little on edge. Well, more than a little. Why? I am normally pretty easy going and I typically roll with the punches. I asked myself on the drive home, was it really the change in schedule today or was it that gnawing feeling inside telling me that its probably time...time for Chris and the 2SCR to load up and move north? Count em: 554 km...344 miles...or 299 nm. Take your pick, anyway you count it the destination is the same - Baghdad, Iraq. Okay, I admit it...I am on edge. After reading Chris' email he sent today, it appears there are many in the 2SCR who are also a little on edge. Can you blame them?

They are trained, focused and ready for that first mission, that first contact, that first firefight. Chris' description paints a picture in my mind of a thoroughbred horse just prior to getting pushed into the starting gate...antsy, rearing up, snorting...and on edge - ready to ride. Give it a read and tell me what you see...

In Chris' own words...

Thur, 16 Aug 2007 09:54:34

Hey, ma


I finally got a good amount of time to write you. Since the entire regiment got here, there hasn't been much time to do much of anything since there's huge lines for both the phones and the computers. Today it's ridiculously hot so not many people are out. Unfortunately though, our power went out in our tent block, so we have no lights OR AC in our tent. I feel like I'm in the middle of a swamp when I'm in there. Without the water.
Like I said, it hasn't cooled off in Kuwait, of course. Yes we're still here, I'll let you know when I get to Baghdad. I check dad's blog every day but I don't have an account or anything. I haven't heard from Spencer [US Marine friend in Iraq], either.

It hit 130 yesterday. We were at a range from 6 in the morning until noon. I'm pretty sure I drank about 6 gallons worth of water. I've never sweat so much in my life, let me tell you. What's worse is the wind blowing sand everywhere, making it stick to you wherever you're sweaty. Thank God they have constant showers here.

Everyone keeps tripping out on each other - I'm not sure if it's from the waiting or the heat or a mixture of both, but I know that we're all ready to head up north and start doing our job.

I haven't found anyone who can consistently beat me [at ping pong], but my buddy Bae found out I played ping pong and I'm going to play with him after I'm done here. He's pretty darned good. Once I get my camera back from Boyd, I'll get some pictures taken. I can't send any yet, but hopefully we'll have internet access when we get there so I can send them to you.

I'm dealing with stuff much better than other guys are. I just put on my iPod and play stuff that reminds me of home or of Erin and I cool down.

Of course I'm reading the book. I read it plenty of times before I left, too. I gave out all of the Angel Coins, too. The guys thought they were really neat.


I'm hangin' in, mom :] I love you! Talk to you soon.
Chris

On edge - so, how would you be feeling if you were in their boots? Ever thought about it? I have...

v/r,
Collabman

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you all, Stevensons! I can only imagine what goes through your mind every day.. Chris is always on my heart, but it has to be more than twice as hard for you. Thank you so much, again, for sharing the blog; I have learned so much!
Take care and God Bless,
-Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin~

It is hard, but it helps to know that Chris has a friend like you to give him support and encouragement. I'm so glad you're there for him!

Blessings,
Nancy

Collabman said...

Hi Erin - thanks for the encouragement - you are welcome on this blog anytime!

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

How fortunate you are that your son stays in contact with you and sends pics. Ty has called 2x and it was like pulling teeth each time. No pics, no e-mails, nothing. Thasnk for letting me learn via your son. I wonder if they know each other?