Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Downrange!

Early this morning my work phone came alive..the caller ID displayed an odd combination of numbers...my heart jumped - Chris!!! What a wonderful surprise! It was oh so nice to hear his voice and be able to share a few minutes with him - on a pretty good connection I might add (just a slight echo).

How did he sound? Upbeat, fairly rested and in good spirits. Chris indicated they made the hop in from Kuwait on a fixed-wing aircraft and after a short lay-over, made a hop to their final destination using a rotary-winged aircraft - all of which was done safely and without incident. Sometimes we fail to recognize and appreciate the men and women transporting our soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines around in theater...under hostile conditions. They rock!

I asked him about the early sites and sounds he had experienced...he painted a picture of outgoing artillery, small arms fire (SAF) in the surrounding areas and incoming mortars...all pretty routine he said. I asked him - can you sleep through it? Chris indicated he made that adjustment back in Germany so he was able to sleep with the sounds. Jeez, I've got a problem with a barking dog in my backyard...seems pretty minor compared to the picture Chris painted on the phone. He also indicated the accommodations would work and their access to outside connectivity - was very usable....not bad on both accounts he said. Pictures? He has taken some and will share when he has time.

The time on the phone went so fast. It slipped away like sand through my hand...but his voice was strong and reassuring - he indicated the morale of those around him was good...they were ready to get started with their mission.

Best of all, he closed with four special words that will carry me for a while and linger in my mind...I Love You Dad....

Chris, I love you too son...and we are praying every day for you and the warriors of 2SCR...stay strong buddy!

v/r,
- Collabman

9 comments:

Marti said...

One of the things David talked about when he was at home was the amount of back up support they get from the helicopter guys. He said that the type of helicopter the more daring they are, but he knows he can always call them in if needed. They are supposed to wait for direct orders, but that would take weeks, so they just fly in and do what they can. We do forget about them until we hear about an unfortunate event like the Blackhawk this morning. You're right. let's not forget about them.
Marti

Collabman said...

Marti - absolutely. Their are 14 hurting families right now from that vent - my heart aches for all of them...

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

Chris, (and your Mom and Dad) I was so thrilled to read the blog this morning and find out that you were able to talk to your dad on the phone, but I know not half as thrilled as your dad was!! Not only are we praying for you, but my entire Sunday School group of "mature women" are praying for you by name and for your unit as well. My prayer is that God will bless all of you for the sacrifice you are making for this country. Hang tight--we love you!
Suzanne (your second cousin) and Great Aunt Eva

Collabman said...

Suzanne and Aunt Eva - thanks so much for the encouragement and prayers for Chris and the 2SCR. You will never understand how knowing you all are part of the journey is helping us...each and every day. Thanks!

Love you both,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

How does the subscribe to posts option work? It didn't ask for an email address so does it just pop up IE or Firefox when you've updated the site or ???
CJ

Collabman said...

CJ - when you subscribe, it will ask you to "Subscribe to this feed using..." If you are using a Firefox web browser (this is what I use) select...Live Bookmarks

Whether it’s news from CNN and the BBC, or posts on your friend’s blog, the Web is updated continually. Firefox’s Live Bookmarks feature automatically keeps track of these updates for you, so you always know when new content has been added to your favorite sites.

With Live Bookmarks, the content comes to you. Instead of constantly checking Web pages for changes and additions, a Live Bookmark delivers updates to you as soon as they are available.

You can also subscribe (by selecting the down arrow) using Bloglines, My Yahoo or Google...all use the same concept.

Hope this helps...

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

CM,

Well - it didn't ask me any of those questions so I'm still a little baffled. So if I leave the IE or Firefox window open it updates with new info or does it pop the window up when I log on and it knows there is new info or???
I didn't get any notification that you posted a response to my message so I'm wondering whazup!
CJ

Collabman said...

CJ - once you subscribe using live feeds it will create and update an entry in your Bookmarks Toolbar Folder under your bookmarks. Just click on it to see the latest updates...

Hope this helps!

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Guess who?? This is Grandma Jo. You didn't know I knew how to use a computer! Suzanne let me read your emails on your Dad's blog. Grandpa and I enjoyed it very much. You sound as if you are a real army man. This is amazing what technology can be like. I am so glad that it gets all the way here to Missouri to Suzanne's and we can read it. Love you lots and lots. Grandma and Grandpa