Sunday, August 26, 2007

Battle Rhythm...Not There Yet...

Ok, I need to share...

On my drive home from church today my mind began to consider some of the challenges the men and women of the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment are confronted with today. They have many things on-going but I would guess a lot of it revolves around establishing a consistent battle rhythm. I can hear you now...Collabman, you were thinking about what? Hang with me for a minute...

For those unfamiliar with military jargon, there is no agreed upon definition for battle rhythm but this description should help you understand it a little, especially as it applies to the 2SCR...the combination and interaction of procedures, processes, leader and individual actions to facilitate extended-continuous operations. Simply put, battle rhythm allows units and leaders to function at a sustained level of efficiency for extended periods of time. Tracking?

Now, my concern is obviously not with the 2SCR - I am confident they will settle into a battle rhythm. However, what about me? I have to be honest...so far, I have not found my battle rhythm in my day-to-day routine of dealing with a son deployed to Iraq and involved in combat operations - along with everything else life brings my way on a daily basis. Say what? Well...for example...my sleep and rest patterns are messed up...my appetite is all over the map...my ability to focus on the details in the lives of my family and friends is currently lacking...my time management has tanked...but most of all, my raw emotions hit in an instant and apparently, for no reason - you can read that as...tears...

Chris and the 2SCR have 14 months and some days to go...I have got to get into a battle rhythm that is positive and healthy for me - this is a marathon, not a sprint. I get no points for crashing and burning early. Without a battle rhythm, this is really gonna be a long haul...not just for me...for my family and friends too.

I am working at it...honest, I am...

I am committed to settling into a rhythm and yes, little things make a big difference...so don't give up on me - I will be okay...

Extended-continuous operations...those three words are potentially a threat to my emotional, physical and spiritual well-being for the next 15 months if I don't adjust...

I am probably alone in these thoughts but I have to ask...how's your battle rhythm? How are you dealing/coping?

v/r,
- Collabman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, if he were really honest, Myron would say it was his "lovely bride" (me) who hasn't found her battle rhythm yet. Don't let him fool you - he's doing a great job dealing with the "battle fatigue" (or as he put it - battle rhythm) that goes along with being the parent of a US Army Soldier who is deployed in what some would call "hell on earth." Me, on the other hand . . . let's just say I covet your prayers:-)
I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that so many of you ARE praying already. Love and thanks to you all!
Nancy

Marti said...

I know exactly what you mean about not yet having found my battle rhythm. I don't think I have functioned properly for than more than a five minute stretch of time. I return to school on Thursday and am hoping that will help occupy my mind. But, if not, what will happen when I have 20 children in my room next week? Will I be able to listen to them when they talk to me, will I be able to get through a lesson, will tears just begin to flow? These and other questions about my battle rhythm are really beginning to plague me. I have a feeling this will not be my best school year. Our heroes have had help preparing themselves for this. We, the parents, need help as well.