Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Heat is On...

Our first note from Chris arrived today and it was a welcomed email, but probably no more than any others we will receive in the coming weeks and months. I lingered on each sentence and re-read the email numerous times as I tried to reach through the words and somehow feel the searing heat and grit of Kuwait. It was a brief email, even rushed for Chris who can bring it when writing - but I expected as much. The 2SCR has much to do as they stage with their equipment and get acclimated to the harsh environment of the middle east. More on Chris' words a little later...

The photos reflect the type of activity ongoing at numerous deep water ports in Kuwait as equipment, including the 2SCR's, arrives to begin the long haul to the north. On the bottom is a photo depicting the challenging weather conditions for the Military Sealift Command ships and crews supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. Here, the large, medium-speed, roll-on/roll-off ship USNS Brittin is barely visible in a sandstorm while preparing to off-load cargo at the port of Ash Shuaybah, Kuwait. The men and women who provide this important job receive limited attention from the media and others...but make no mistake - they are an important part of a combat deployment supporting our troops. I applaud their efforts and offer them a hearty well done!

Let me close with our first email from Chris as he and the 2SCR get adjusted and prepare to head north to support what will be a complex and difficult mission in Iraq...a job I am convinced that they are well prepared for...but one that will still challenge their mental and physical toughness like never before. If you have a moment and would like to see how they prepared for their deployment give the Stars and Stripes article a read here.

In Chris' own words...

Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:52:52

Hey, Mom! This'll be really quick as I haven't got much time left, but I am in Kuwait and its RIDICULOUSLY hot. Like, bad. We'll be heading north in a few weeks, and it sounds like the Forward Operating Base we will be on will be REALLY nice. I love you mom and will try and give you a call soon. Chris

Ridiculously hot...that says it all right now for Chris and his Stryker unit and it will only get hotter in the coming days and weeks...and I am not referring to the weather...

We are all praying for you, Chris, and for the entire 2SCR team...be encouraged son.

Before you leave the virtual world tonight, please take a moment and read the comment Marti added to The Journey Begins... blog (10 July 2007). We have never met but we already have a bond and are pulling together to support these warriors throughout this journey - count on it!

v/r,
- Collabman

2 comments:

CharlestonGirl said...

My son (stepson techinically) is in 2SCR also. This is his first deployment. He went in the Army right out of highschool. He has been in almost 2 years. To find out anything from him is like pulling teeth! :) He is a man of few words. I found your site from the Stryker Brigade news. It is a Godsend to me. I am a Navy brat myself and need to know what is going on. I hope you won't mind me dropping in here from time to time. Thanks in advance. I feel better already! Lisa

Collabman said...

Lisa - thanks so much for sharing a little of your story with us. If you would, can you share your son's first name and company with us and we will see if Chris (Dawg Company) knows him. You are welcome on this blog at any time! Got questions? Please let us know. We are all in this together so whatever we can do to help is a standing offer. Nancy and I will do our best...
v/r,
Collabman