Sunday, October 21, 2007

Searching Saddle Bags...

Alright, I won't speak for you but that title in the alert caught my eye. How about you? Searching what?

This comes down to the 2nd SCR staying agile in keeping up with the insurgents Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTP). They adapt to whatever is required of them to ensure all bags that might be carrying suspicious contents are checked...including saddle bags. Our warriors do whatever it takes...

Here is the photo that accompanied the alert. Anyone know which Squadron Spc. Michael Clark is assigned to in the 2nd SCR?


Army Spc. Michael Clark, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, searches saddle bags on a mule for any suspicious contents in the East Rashid district of Baghdad, Iraq, Oct. 13, 2007.
U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Andrew M. Rodier


I will be praying for Chris, all the warriors...and for you this week. Be strong and hold fast each day as we continue on this journey with the 2nd SCR in Iraq.

If you will, leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts at this point in the journey. What has surprised you the most? What is your biggest challenge? What have you changed in your battle rhythm?

I am interested and I bet the other folks visiting this blog are too...we are in this together.

v/r,
- Collabman

6 comments:

Marti said...

Once again, our soldiers need to think like the insurgents. Where or what would they sacrifice in order to hurt others? Nothing and noone must go without suspicion. Imagine the courage of these warriors as they stop to search knowing that this person or vehicle might be carrying a device that could blow them up. I know I couldn't do it!
This is the the answer to your question. I'm not surprised at the bravery that our soldiers display, but that they can continue to do so day after day even under the enormous stress they face. They can't call in and say I'm not coming in today. They show up faithfully everyday to do their job. Can they lay in bed (if they even have one) and hit the snooze alarm?
If I have learned anything else in the short time that my son has been in Iraq, it is to not complain about the dumb things that we have come accustomed to whining about on a daily basis. Was my meal as hot as I thought it should have been in the restaurant last night? No, but I was eating a really nice dinner, while I was sitting on a chair at a table, served to me on a plate and I had real utensils. One of my friends commented that the restaurant was a little noisy and I replied, "Are there mortars exploding around you? Enjoy this noise."

Anonymous said...

Marti you are so right. Having a loved one in the war zone has certainly opened my eyes to all we take for granted. We are so blessed.

Terrie, Matt's Mom

Anonymous said...

SPC Clark is in 3rd Squadron, 2SCR

Collabman said...

Anonymous - thanks for the info on Spc. Clark - 3rd Squadron...got it!

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

Collabman...

To give you a little more background on this soldier, SPC Clark, who's "Searching Saddle Bags"...in the middle of Iraq.

Clark hails originally from Westford MA, where as a youngster he played all the local youth sports, and subsequently became a star on Westford Academy's High School varsity ice hockey and lacrosse teams.

As an young athlete Michael mentored and inspired his younger sister Julia, who became an ice hockey star in her own right. Julia was recruited by almost twenty college hockey programs when she graduated from high school...and enrolled at Northeastern University.

SPC Michael Clark, a scholar himself, was accepted into the engineering departments of four New England universities. He elected to enroll at the University of Connecticut at Storrs where he studied, and attended ROTC training, until half way through his third semester.

At that time Michael decided to leave UConn and enlist in the Army, despite being offered a full ROTC scholarship for his remaining time at UConn!

During SPC Clark's exit interview with UConn's Dean of Students, Michael explained that he was leaving school because he felt he needed to serve his country during its time of need. Hearing this heartfelt comment, the dean immediately forgave Clark all outstanding fees and charges for the incomplete semester; a substantial amount of money.

It's nice to know we have folks like your son...my son, Mike...and the thousands of other selfless sons and daughters who have served during our country's times of need.

Thanks for your blog...it's helped me during these past 15 months.

Tom, Mike's dad

Collabman said...

@Tom - thanks for the wonderful story of your son, Mike. That is a keeper for me...powerful stuff!

Thanks for your readership and taking the time to share this comment!

v/r,
- Collabman