Saturday, October 20, 2007

Fallen Angel...

A quiet Saturday night that just - well, it just changed in an instant. Out of no where the alerts started to flow. Sure, I could turn them off or suppress them - but would it really stop the pain and change any of the news? I think not...

The alerts tonight, driven by the words 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, sadly confirm what was tipped earlier this week in a MND-B press release..." One Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldier was killed...The deceased Soldier’s name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin and release by the Department of Defense."

Now, the alert is definitive - crystal clear..."The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom."

These words cause those of us with warriors in the 2nd SCR in Iraq to grieve. However, our warriors will not flinch in the face of evil - nor will I. My support for Chris and the 2nd SCR will not waiver. I am reminded of the statement about our U.S flag - the colors don't run.

The real pain comes next....As I always do, I read the statement and let it wash over me...sure, it makes me cry but I am ok telling you that...because we have a bond that will never be broken.

Army Spc. Wayne M. Geiger, 23, of Lone Pine, California died October 18th in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. He was assigned to 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Geiger family and loved ones. Spc. Geiger made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us and is a Hero. He gave his life upon the alter of freedom. We will never forget his sacrifice.

In the arms of an angel...the video is difficult to watch but it speaks words I cannot write...the images and music are more descriptive than anything I could share.

Hold fast...

Chris, I love you buddy and we are praying for you and the entire 2nd SCR - be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

9 comments:

Marti said...

Once again, the heartbreak of a family. I cry with every notice that I read and then I silently say this prayer," Dear God, please don't let the next one be my son." It's not a selfish prayer, but the prayer of all parents who just want their children to come home.

Unknown said...

Our prayers are with SPC Geiger's family, loved ones, and friends,even the ones that he didn't know he had.....They are ALL our "guys' whether they know it or not. The loss of any of them hurts us all. May all affected by our loss lean on the Lord for comfort and strength, especially SPC Geiger's family. God Bless You All.

11bDad said...

How I hate starting the day like this. Like most of you I have my morning routine. For some reason I cannot sleep. Up at 5:30 est, make some coffee and check the Stryker News site. My heart sinks. I say a prayer for a lost warrior and his family. I open iChat, and with tears flowing, I see my son is online. He is doing well. I link him to your blog. He comes back and says thanks for the link. He thinks it's a awesome site. I told him they needed to post some pics on the Stryker News site. He said he would work on it. Keep the faith folks.

Collabman said...

Keep the faith...indeed.

Thanks for everyone's comments! Keep those cards and letters coming...

We will get through this storm together...

v/r,
- Collabman

11bDad said...

Collabman,
Could you email me at lbvanhoy@aol.com. I would like to post a pic of my son. Not sure how to do it.
Thanks

Collabman said...

11bDad - coming your way sir...

v/r,
- Collabman

Nancy said...

SPC Wayne Geiger.... what can I say? You were a wonderful friend to many.... You were a hero with a warm and loving smile. You were an awesome infantry man. Many hearts are broken. May they all find peaace. May God bless your parents and sister and your friends & family. Rest in Peace. Nancy and Brian Travis, Proud Army Mom of Nathan H Co, 2nd Plt. 3/2 SCR

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all the show of support and love..I am Wayne's uncle..He was a great kid and the best nephew..please pray for his mother, father and sister...God Bless all of the troops...We love and miss Wayne dearly...Kevin Hawn

Collabman said...

Kevin - thanks for sharing your comment.

I am praying for Wayne's mother, father and sister during this very difficult time. Your comment has been read by many...we will continue to lift them up in our daily thoughts and prayers.

With respect and gratitude,
- Collabman