Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Fallen Angels...

The alerts came this morning before I departed for work...they turned my stomach and ruined my day before it even got started. At the end of my work day, I dreaded the trip home knowing that I would write another blog called...Fallen Angels. So here I sit in the quietness of my home...keys clicking...tears flowing. Please tell me this will be the last blog like this I have to write...I know, I know - you can't...but I had to ask. We must stay strong and press on...

So how are these fallen angels honored in the combat zone? Let me summarize. When a serviceman or woman is lost on the battlefield, it is customary to arrange their boots, rifle, dog tags and helmet...and then gather around to memorialize their fallen angel. Some of the warriors will pray, some will grieve while others will recall funny stories. Make no mistake, this is a ceremony that is taken very seriously. Every warrior knows the next ceremony might be for them.

This photo speaks words I am not equipped to write...so I won't even try. An empty helmet, boots and rifle - objects that are the heart and soul of a warrior.

Tonight, I honor two more fallen angels from the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. I extend my deepest sympathies to their loved ones. Read the words and let them wash over you...I did...

Army Spc. Jason N. Marchand, 26, of Greenwood, W. Va., died Oct. 5 in Baghdad of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his unit during combat operations. Marchand was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, in Vilseck, Germany.

Army Sgt. Joseph B. Milledge, 23, of Pointblank, Texas, died Oct. 5 in Baghdad of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his unit during combat operations. Milledge was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, in Vilseck, Germany.

In the coming days memorial services will be held back home for these two heroes. I imagine that at the end of each service a final roll call will be made...

An officer will call the names of Marchand and Milledge's fellow soldiers in attendance in the service...and they will shout, "Here, sir."

The officer will then call out..."Spc. Marchand"..."Sgt. Milledge"...

Silence...

"Spc. Jason Marchand"..."Sgt. Joseph Milledge"...

Silence...

"Spc. Jason N. Marchand"..."Sgt. Joseph B. Milledge"...

Silence...

Then a bugler will play taps...

...and in the silence of the memorial service the loved ones of Spc. Marchand and Sgt. Milledge and those of us with warriors still in the fight in Iraq...will ask God for more strength, dig a little deeper in our soul and continue on with this journey...

The fallen angels would expect nothing less...would they?

I love you Chris and I remember you every day buddy...be safe...

v/r,
- Collabman

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The ugliest part of war. Can anyone who listens to a daily newscast understand this part of war? The worst news any family can hear or fear of hearing. We understand, it brings our tears and rips away a little piece of our heart each time. May God bless these families.

Tacoma Dave said...

Call it what you will - comradery, esprit de corps. Around here we call it ‘Cav Pride’. To anyone that has ever served in a Cavalry unit, or has even been attached to a Cavalry unit, it’s just something you have to live with. The way your neck hairs bristle when someone says “horse shit” like it’s a bad thing. The way your chest swells when the flag goes by. The way your heart aches when another veteran from any number of wars fails to make muster. It is both undeniable and unavoidable, yet also unexplainable. A mysterious ‘disease’ that sweeps through the ranks of the troops, claiming victims in rapid succession, and leaving none unscathed. You may not like the guy standing next to you - hell, you might hate his guts - but you’ll put your life on the line for him without a moments hesitation, because you know he’ll do the same for you.....Dave Gettman, C Troop 2ACR 1974-75

Collabman said...

Tacoma Dave - thanks for sharing - your words stand on their own...well said!

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

M, Once again you bring tears to my eyes with such beautiful writing. The roll call was my undoing. Our troops ARE Heroes and will never be forgotten!
Terrie, Matt's Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you do, Collabman. Most especially for sharing your family's story and for helping people like me glimpse the daily struggle that so many families endure. My thoughts are with you, your wife, Chris, and his team.
Sincerely,
Kristen

Collabman said...

Terrie - thanks for all you do and the support you continue to provide. As Marti said...we are in this together...

Thanks!

v/r,
- Collabman

Collabman said...

Kris10 - thanks ma'am for your words of encouragement and for lifting up Chris and the 2nd SCR. This means so much to us.

We are very grateful for you and so many others who are in the fight supporting our troops...it helps carry us through each day.

Thanks again ma'am...

v/r,
- Collabman