Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Fiery Remembrance...



Happy Tuesday! Since my last blog the flow of alerts and information on the activities of the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in Baghdad has slowed a little. There are a number of ways to interpret this...I will let you decide where you stand.

For me, there are times the silence is simply deafening. Not hearing from Chris on a more frequent basis has taken some adjustment but we are ok - we've updated our thought process and battle rhythm knowing he is busy and will check in when he can. However, I would be lying if I said its easy - it is not.

Has it been almost three months since the 2nd SCR deployed? It has - they deployed in August. Every day that passes is another day closer to their return. There are days when I want to peek at the calendar but why bother? Day by day is how I will get through this...I can't handle looking at the calendar and being swallowed up by the number of months left.

How do you cope? Do you mark off each day as a visible reminder? Do you deal with today and only today? Do you mentally check off each day? I imagine each of us copes in our own unique way...we could all probably write a book or a blog on what works and what does not.

Let me leave you with some photos of the 2nd Squadron as they receive their combat patches...while lighting a fire to remember their fallen. Look at the raging fire in the background as the combat patches are presented. Think those warriors will every forget that moment?

I am touched and challenged by the way our warriors never, ever forget those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice...we too will never forget...

Chris, I love you son and think of your sacrifice and courage every day...every day...how's it feel to wear that combat patch?

v/r,
- Collabman



Lt. Col. Myron Reineke, commander of the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, from Spring Valley, Minn., lights a fire in remembrance of his unit's fallen Soldiers at Forward Operating Base Falcon, Oct. 28. The 2-2 SCR is currently attached to the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division currently deployed out of Fort Riley, Kan.




Capt. Aaron Brown, commander of Company E, 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, from Red Oak, Texas, places a combat patch on Sgt. Christopher Pingle, a team leader with Co. E, 2-2 SCR, from Crescent City, Calif., during the unit's patch ceremony at Forward Operating Base Falcon in southern Baghdad, Oct. 28. The squadron has been deployed from Vilseck, Germany, since August.

5 comments:

Marti said...

Thanks for the photos of our boys' squadron receiving their combat patches. The photos of the 2/2 are hard to come by and I appreciate the ones you find.
For me, taking one day at a time works best. It may have to do with the math program my school uses. We count off the number of school days and even though the number doesn't reflect the weekends, I know that each one is one day closer to David's and the rest of the 2SCR homecoming.
Enjoy Orlando!

Marti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Myron,

I know the time until return seems long, but you are not alone. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Collabman said...

Marti - thanks and congrats to David on his good news.

Nice!

v/r,
- Collabman

Collabman said...

Ms. Joy - thanks for the encouragement and support. It means a lot to us!!

v/r,
- Collabman