Saturday, November 3, 2007

Voice-Giving Technologies...

Nothing interesting happening tonight with our warriors in the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment so...humor me for a few minutes as I reflect on this past week...

On Tuesday my wife and I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful evening at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center in Orlando, Florida for the Chairman’s Banquet and Salute to the Military. Distinguished military representatives, heartfelt videos, lively musical entertainment, and a host of very special guests honored the men and women that serve our country - it was quite an evening. This event was part of the MILCOM 2007 conference which I participated in as a panelist. I was extremely fortunate and honored to be part of this outstanding function.

In attendance, which was a surprise to those in the banquet hall, was a young lady named Ms. Lizzie Palmer who created the YouTube video called Remember Me. Maybe you remember seeing it on my blog called Time to Roll. If you haven't seen the video, take a moment and give it a view. I think you will be touched but be aware...parts of Lizzie's video will challenge you to reevaluate where you stand with our warriors. Fair warning...

Lizzie was 15 when she created Remember Me - which has now received over 18 million views. Say what? No way...18 million views and counting? Any video with that many views must have been produced by someone who was skilled and trained in video production...nope...she is a high school student who plays the flute/piccolo and plans on joining the U.S. Army after she graduates. Impressive, eh?

This is the power of todays web 2.0 social networking and video-sharing tools like YouTube. They give common users a voice in this fast moving, dynamic world of cyberspace...and they can have a profound impact - note Lizzie's video.

This blog is a another example...I have no clue what I am doing but...it provides me a mechanism on which to stand on a box and shout to the world about Chris' journey to Baghdad and back. It gives me a voice and I like it. How about you? Do you like these tools or do they make you uncomfortable?

Finally, in what may seem like an unlikely alliance, hard rock band Drowning Pool, non-profit organization Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) and Lizzie Palmer have teamed up to encourage young people to support expanded health care for veterans returning from Iraq & Afghanistan.

They have launched a campaign called ‘This Is For the Soldiers’ and are asking Americans to support legislation currently before congress which addresses the urgent need to get better mental health care for veterans. This is for the soldiers hosts a petition urging congress to support the Lane Evans Mental Health Care Reform bill, along with a powerful music video created by Lizzie. You can view the video by visiting the web site or viewing it at the end of this blog.

Regardless of your view of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, I would encourage you to visit the website and consider your obligation to support our warriors - will you show up, get in the fight and contribute? You decide...

Thanks for listening...enjoy your weekend.

Chris, I love you and I remember! Be safe...

v/r,
- Collabman

5 comments:

Marti said...

How wonderful for you and Nancy to have been part of such an event! I certainly remember Lizzie's video, quite an impressive production from a 15 year old. How proud her parents must be that such a young person has used our modern technology to make her voice heard. From here I am going to use your link to the sight in order to sign the petition. thanks for providing us with the information.
So many of our brave warriors are still awaiting proper health care and have to fight to get it. Shame on our government for that. I'm sure none of our politicians have to wait for months or years to see their primary care physicians. Maybe as part of this bill, they should turn their appointments over to the soldiers. It is our obligation to make sure they receive proper care. I guess some have forgotten that FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!
Also, I really wasn't surprised at the Drowning Pool's involvement. Many rockers have and still are involved in world issues. They have powerful voices and do make themselves heard, politically that is. These are the ones we should be hearing more about and not the spoiled twits who make the news daily. It seems many average folks are much more shallow than we realize.
I better stop now before I get on my soapbox. Oh, I think I've already been on it.

Anonymous said...

Marti, I like your soapbox! Myron, as always, thanks for putting yourself out there and sharing.

Cale's mom said...

It's the hearts of the people of this nation that continues to make it what it is. There are hundreds of groups across the country like the Freedom Riders, Operation Quiet Comfort and these on your blog, trying to fill the gaps that the government somehow doesn't see. And Marti is right. It's shameful! The scandal at Walter Reed boggles the mind..like this is a new revelation. It has been common knowledge for years that the VA, in general, has offered inadequate care in deplorable conditions by, in too many instances, uncaring staff. All this directly caused by funding. Yet we listen to presidential hopefuls demanding free healthcare for people who have no legal right to be in this country while the men and women who volunteer to fight and die for that country go begging. Don't apologize for your soap box!

Collabman said...

Marti and Cale's mom - well said and spot on...

As Joy said, I like the soapbox you both just stood on virtually...I figured there would be some thoghts on this issue...

I wonder how many others feel the same way? ;-)

Thanks for sharing...

v/r,
- Collabman

Mrs. Collabman said...

Cale's Mom~
Chris has a friend named Cale in Virginia. Are you his mom?