Thursday, November 8, 2007

For the Sake of the Call...

On the drive home tonight, in the beautiful twilight of the Rocky Mountains, my thoughts once again turned to Chris and the warriors of the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. Young men and women, twentysomething's with so much of their life ahead of them, who chose to get up off of that proverbial couch and join an all-volunteer military force...knowing full well they could be deployed to combat zones in Iraq or Afghanistan.

What would compel someone to choose to do this? What drives them? Where does this passion and commitment come from? Why would they fight and stand in harms way for me and you? For the money? The fame?

Tell me, have you heard this from your warrior? It goes something like this..."Mom, driving the Stryker is cool but...I want to be on the ground...in the fight...I want to carry the M249 and be a squad automatic weapon gunner...so I am changing jobs." You are doing what? Chris shared that decision with us over the phone...

This is the character I see in the warriors from the 2nd SCR. I read it in many of the emails that flow within our support group. For many, it appears that they do it simply for the sake of the call. They get up every day, gear up and with seemingly reckless abandon...do their job. No questions asked...

When I reflect on all of this I am humbled. It causes me to stop, look in the mirror and check my commitment...question my character. I will tell you that many days I don't like what I see. I have got to make each day count - I can't get 'em back. How about you? Where do you stand?

Spend a minute looking at the character of our warriors through the photos below provided by Tech Sgt. Andrew Rodier, Joint Combat Camera Center.

No other reason than for the sake of the call...

Ouch...I still have a long way to go...

v/r,
- Collabman



A herder walks past U.S. Army Stryker fighting vehicles with 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment on a presence patrol in the East Rashid District of Baghdad, Iraq, Oct. 21.



U.S. Army Spc. Alexander Flores from 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment provides security in the East Rashid District of Baghdad.



U.S. Army Cpt. Javier Lopez, Nemesis Troop Commander, from 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment checks the condition of his Soldiers during a presence patrol in the East Rashid District of Baghdad.

4 comments:

armyone said...

Myron, since I found this website, I find myself checking daily, almost hourly for any updates. Your blog today was so on point. My son said the exact same thing, "I'm changing jobs, and won't be driving anymore". What do you say? He called at 2:45AM this morning after not hearing from him for two weeks, and belive me, you jump at those early AM calls! It's always good to hear that he's okay. By the way, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I want to start of by saying thanks. You manage to find the right words to say the things I so often feel. My boyfriend,Kyle, is a mechanic and in the 2SCR, we met while he was in on leave and still in ATI and have now been dating for almost a year, and now the countdown is on for his two week break from Baghdad, I still can't believe he is over there sometimes. Anyway, this blog reminded me a lot of him, because he often tells me how he would love to get out of the motor pool and be able to interact with the citizens of Iraq..be outside the wire. His dedication, drive and bravery never ceases to amaze me! Thanks to all our soldiers and may God please keep them safe!! And thanks again!!!

Collabman said...

Armyone - thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am thankful you heard from your son...even if it was an early morning call ;-)There is something about hearing that voice - nice!

Again, well said and thanks for leaving the comment. Your thoughts are an encouragement to all of us along on this journey.

v/r,
- Collabman

Collabman said...

Anonymous - wow, thanks for sharing. A mechanic - what a critical job that does not get much attention but plays such a key role in keeping the Strykers and all the equipment functioning so the 2nd SCR can operate in an up-tempo operational environment like Baghdad. Make no mistake, his job is sooooo very important!

Please pass on to him our appreciation for his service, commitment and bravery.

Enjoy your two weeks with Kyle on R&R. That will be a special time...

v/r,
- Collabman