Sunday, November 11, 2007

11th Hour, 11th Day, 11th Month...

I can hear you now - Collabman, that's an odd title for this blog. Well, not really. As you probably know, today is Veterans Day. Being a former US Marine, this day has always been special. In fact, November 10th, US Marine Corps Birthday and November 11th, Veterans Day are two pretty significant days for me. Can you identify?

Back to the title. Maybe you are aware of the history of Veterans Day but if not...to commemorate the ending of the Great War (World War I), an unknown soldier was buried in the highest place of honor in both England and France. These ceremonies took place on November 11th, celebrating the ending of World War I hostilities at 11 a.m., November 11, 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month). This day became known internationally as Armistice Day.

What is the significance of Veterans Day? First off, it is a day that is commonly confused with Memorial Day. How so? Memorial Day honors service members who died in service to their country or as a result of injuries incurred during battle. Veterans Day remembers deceased veterans too but the day is set aside to specifically honor and thank living veterans who served honorably in the military.

To those of you who have served - thank you. Your sacrifice will never, ever be forgotten and it can never be repaid.

For those of us with loved ones in harms way today or have soldiers recovering from combat injuries...we remember...every day.

If you would, take a moment and click through the names and photos on the 2nd SCR Wall of Heroes and spend some time reading the names on the Fallen Angels list. In your own special way, consider their service and/or the ultimate sacrifice they have made. Freedom is never free...

For me, as I do each and every day - I will pray for our warriors and ask God for his protection over them. Some I know by name and photo...others, only by the words unknown soldiers of the 2nd SCR.

As Chris continues his mission with the 2nd SCR in Iraq, so does my journey along side of him. Our journey. He and the other warriors of the 2nd SCR will not flinch or shy away from this fight - nor will I.

I love you Chris and I am grateful for your service and commitment. Be safe son!

You are always on my heart...

With Love,
Collabman

2 comments:

Marti said...

I have always appreciated our veterans who have fought so valliantly to protect those of us here on the homefront. However, now that I have a son serving in the 2nd SCR I have come to appreciate them so much more. Thank you for today's blog and God bless all of our servicemen past and present, and the families who await there return.

Collabman said...

Marti - thanks for the comment!

Your second comment made me laugh 'cause...after I had posted this blog I noted with a little embarrassment that I had inadvertently typed US Marine "Corp" instead of Corps ;-)

Jeez...I would never hear the end of that from my fellow Marines - LOL

Thanks and enjoy the rest of Veterans Day...

v/r,
- Collabman