Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lessons Learned...

Happy Sunday! This has been a restful four-day break for me and my family. I trust you have had a similar experience but...back at it tomorrow.

So many things to talk about - let's start with a recap of a phone call from Chris on Thanksgiving day...

Friday, 23 November 2007 @ 2:00am Baghdad time

We talked to Chris for a good half hour. It was great. He was just coming off guard duty and was headed back out on patrol. He sounded pretty tired (understandably), but he was fairly talkative (for Chris) and it was so good to hear his voice! He said they had a great meal at COP Aztec with turkey, ham, shrimp (that was his favorite part) and all the trimmings. I'm so glad the army feeds them well for the holidays. Chris also said they were paid a visit by a 3-star U.S. Army General who expressed his appreciation for the work of 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. He was encouraged by the General's visit and his willingness to spend time with the 2-2 SCR at their COP.

Chris continues to receive care packages and really appreciates all of them. We spoke at length about the local sports teams and their performance to date. He enjoyed the updates.

He also shared this: To everyone back home sending prayers and thoughts to this side of the world:


You guys have NO idea how much your prayers mean to us. I'm trying to send my fair share back but I know there's no competing with those numbers. Thank you for everything you guys do for us. It is MUCH appreciated.

All in all it was great to talk with him on a day of Thanksgiving. Chris is strong, his attitude is positive and he is doing well physically and emotionally - what more could we ask for?

Next item...
Saturday morning my wife and I met with Mark and Laura, whose son Spc. Kellan B. serves with the 2-2 SCR. We spoke with Chris after virtually meeting them two weeks ago and he knows Kellan - nice! Nancy and I enjoyed spending time with this wonderful couple and sharing our deployment experiences. It is encouraging to me to that we are not alone in this journey and there are others going through the same emotions and challenges of having a young warrior on the ground in Baghdad. We look forward to building a lasting relationship with Mark and Laura. By the way, the soldier in the Stars and Stripes photo above was misidentified - it's actually Spc. Kellan B.

Finally...
I stumbled across a podcast from David Smith, Guardian Unlimited, who reflects on his time embedded with U.S. forces in Baghdad. If you have been following this blog, you know that David has spent numerous hours riding along on missions with the 2nd SCR. So, as my grandfather would say, he has some dirt under his fingernails - that is, first hand experience. This podcast provides an interesting perspective on what he saw and experienced in Baghdad with the 2nd SCR.

If you have a warrior serving with the 2nd SCR, I think you will enjoy the 10 minute letter from David. Close your eyes and listen as he paints a picture...what do you hear and see? I think it is a picture worth painting...do you?

Click here to play online or download.

I love you Chris! Be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

1 comment:

Marti said...

I am so glad you got to have a good conversation with Chris. They are so few and far between and I know how much they are cherished.
The podcast from David Smith was really very interesting. It was nice to hear the take by a non-American. It certainly sounded as if his assignment with the 2nd SCR is over. We will only have to wait and see.