Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving '07 - Not Home Yet...

On the eve of Thanksgiving '07 I have so many things swirling in my mind. Why is this? Is it because my youngest son is on the ground in Baghdad and serving in harms way? Maybe...or is it just life in general and the changes I am experiencing? I am not sure...

I will share this. It's been a while since I have had one of those why the tears moment - but that's what happened this afternoon while virtually checking in on the 2nd SCR. The story Death and Decay by David Smith, Guardian Unlimited must have hit a cord - especially his last two paragraphs as he described the memorial service for 2nd Lt. Burks...

"There was a moment of silence, when all heads bowed, then a sergeant, Kevin Muhlenbeck, shouted the name of a regiment member as if on the parade ground. "Sir!" came back the reply. He shouted another name. "Sir!" came the reply. "Burks!" No reply. "Peter Haskell Burks!" No reply. A voice outside gave an order to fire, and three times gunfire cracked in the night air.

More than 3,850 US troops have died during the Iraq war. From afar that can look like a statistic. Up close, it looks like a room full of sadness and a search for consolation.
"

Man, I still have a long journey ahead...I think I need some time to decompress a little over the next four days and recharge. How about you? How are you handling this deployment?

Before I close let me share what I am thankful for...yikes, this is really scary but here goes. Talk about being transparent and vulnerable...

I am thankful for...
  • An awesome, wonderful God who loves me...
  • A smart, beautiful, loving and patient wife of almost 29 years...
  • Three wonderful boys; two working hard and loving life in Colorado and one proudly serving with the 2nd SCR in Baghdad, Iraq...
  • Strong, committed parents who have always shown unconditional love for me..
  • Close friends like Bob, Steve, Jim H., Jim N. and Jonesy who hold me accountable and encourage, challenge me every day...
  • A church group of twenty-something, thumb-generation "kids" who make me laugh and think every time The Gathering meets...
k, there's my list - what are you thankful for? I'm interested...

Let me close with a note to Chris and a video that makes me think about this time, next year...November '08, when the 2nd SCR will be going home.

The look and emotions on the faces of those in the video - I will have that look next year. I can't wait...

Chris,
I love you son and I miss you more than words can say. I am so proud of you! We are praying for you and the 2nd SCR every day. Thanks for your service. As I sit down for dinner and celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow - you will be on my mind and heart.

Thanks for your sacrifice, commitment, positive attitude and your love for our great country. I remember every day...

Love,
Dad


2 comments:

Unknown said...

As I sit here and read today's edition of your blog, it is a little more than 2 hours into our Thanksgiving Day. I am a little hungry, and that must be in anticipation of today's meal that I will be sharing with my family. Missing from the table will be my son, David. As I think of the what I am most thankful for in my life, I have to say it is my son who has grown to be an outstanding, generous man. At a time in his life when he should have gone out into the world that was waiting for him, he unselfishly chose to serve his country so that we may sit here today and enjoy our meal, football games and the planning for tomorrow's day of shopping. What am I hoping for today? That David at least gets to have his Thanksgiving meal with those that he has come to call brother and not miss it, like he has so many others, because he is out on a mission. On this Thanksgiving Day, I give thanks to all of our young servicemen and women who serve this country so that we here on the homefront can consume millions of turkeys.

Anonymous said...

yes that article, had me in tears...if I were there listening to that, I wouldve for sure broken down, just as i did reading it...my husband said he had to participate in that type of thing last time over there and he said it is definitely not something you want to be a part of because it is so incredibly emotional....

I am thankful to God who has entrusted this journey to me to support and encourage my amazing husband..

I am thankful for my children, my family, our health and our freedoms...

I am thankful that even tho we can't all be together with our loved ones, that we know they are ok and God is watching over them...

Lori B- 2nd SCR wife