Monday, November 19, 2007

Fallen Angel...

The pieces of the ugly puzzle were all there. I had observed each one from a distance for a number of days, praying they didn't fit together. Pieces such as a hint in a press report, a snippet or two in an email string, a hunch that wouldn't go away. Jagged, stained pieces of a puzzle that went together whether I wanted to admit it or not.

Another fallen angel from the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment?

Can't be. It is so close to Thanksgiving. No! This is not fair. Why now, why ever? Haven't we been through enough already? One is too many. Please, don't tell me we all have to once again dig a little deeper in our soul and heart...and add another name to the 2nd SCR Fallen Angel wall on my blog...please.

Three months in to this journey and the heartache of once again reading that a young warrior has made the ultimate sacrifice for his soldiers...for me...for you.

Let the words wash over you and sink in...

2nd Lt. Peter H. Burks, 26, of Dallas, Texas, died Nov. 14 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when his vehicle struck an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

Please remember the Burks' family and loved ones in Texas. Thank you for 2nd Lt. Burks' sacrifice and service to this great nation. Father God, I pray that you comfort and surround this family with many who will love and encourage them during this time of sorrow and loss.

Words escape me now...but not the tears...

Chris, I love you buddy and I remember every day your heart, your sacrifice, your determination...be safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Collabman, As you say, I have been on edge the past couple of days. Hearing those hints dropped here and there, I knew it was going to hit close. The announcement of another "Fallen Angel" from the 2 SCR is gut wrenching news. This Thanksgiving, I give special thanks to all of those soldiers serving so that we and so many others can enjoy freedom. I give thanks to those who lost loved ones, heroes that gave the ultimate sacrifice for that freedom. They will never be forgotten!! God, please protect the soldiers of the 2 SCR, Thank You Lord!
Terrie, Matt's Mom