Thursday, November 29, 2007

Black Gold...

It appears to have been a fairly quiet news day for the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment operating in Baghdad. Also, for those asking it's been a week since we've had a phone call from Chris but that just goes with the territory - he and his fellow warriors are busy based on recent reporting.

I am anxiously awaiting a couple of disposable cameras that will be coming our way - I will share the photos on the blog once we get them developed and uploaded. I look forward to seeing pictures of Chris...

Let me close with a few photos showing the pressure the 2-2 SCR is applying on illegal gasoline or as some call it Black Gold, sales in the Dora district of Baghdad.

What drives this black market? From what I see...limited electricity requiring more gas to drive generators and insurgent attacks on the pipelines at a minimum but... probably more concerning are the subsidies and corruption that continue to fuel the black market (no pun intended). All for a country that has some of the largest oil reserves...crazy, eh?

Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder...

Chris, keep your head on a swivel - we love you son! Be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they should send that black gold this way. I don't know what gasoline is going for where you are but here in Brooklyn $3.35 is low. I filled up this morning at my usual station and on the way home this afternoon it had gone up $0.06.

Collabman said...

Our snapshot here for the lowest grade...

One year ago:$2.17

One month ago: $2.85

One week ago: $3.09

Midgrade and Premium...even uglier...

So, I am not a smart guy but...our trend is not that much different than yours...maybe I should ask for a horse for Christmas? ;-)

v/r,
- Collabman