Friday, January 11, 2008

Team of Fallen Angels...


Today's blog is almost too much to deal with. The words are difficult to write...harder to read. However, just as our warriors from the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment embrace the suck, 24x7...we too must press on.

When the news began to move at mouse-click speed across the internet, my thoughts echoed those of Capt. Mike Stinchfield, Commander of Company H, 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment...

"Six KIA? Damn. Are you sure?"

My heart grieves and the tears that have run down my face off and on today can't begin to express the pain I feel.

I will be honest...I can't even imagine what these six families are experiencing right now. So if my words seem inadequate - well, they are just that...inadequate.

A few of the names were released earlier but I wanted to honor them together. They worked as a team...they paid the ultimate sacrifice as a team...they gave their lives for you and me...as a team...

Spend a moment with each name...pray for their families and loved ones. Pray these families will be surrounded by many who will comfort, console and encourage during a time that is beyond painful...

Sgt. Christopher A. Sanders, 22, of Roswell, N.M., died Jan. 9 in Sinsil, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated during combat operations. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

Sgt. 1st Class Matthew I. Pionk, 30, of Superior, Wis., died Jan. 9 in Sinsil, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated during combat operations. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

Sgt. Zachary W. McBride, 20, of Bend, Ore., died Jan. 9 in Sinsil, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated during combat operations. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

Staff Sgt. Sean M. Gaul, 29, of Reno, Nev., died Jan. 9 in Sinsil, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated during combat operations. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

Staff Sgt. Jonathan K. Dozier, 30, of Rutherford, Tenn., died Jan. 9 in Sinsil, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated during combat operations. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

Spc. Todd E. Davis, 22, of Raymore, Mo., died Jan. 9 in Sinsil, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated during combat operations. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

--------------------------------------------

Someone tell me this will be the last fallen angel blog I will write for this deployment....anyone?

My thoughts and prayers are with all of the loved ones from this team of fallen angels. We will never forget...

v/r,
- Collabman

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first read the message it felt like i got hit in the chest with a hammer, my heart dropped hard, losing one or two is hard enough but 6 at one time, I have no words, but with a tear in the eye my prayers go out to those mens familes, Lord help them be strong and take care of those heros you recived

Anonymous said...

I am speechless and heart broken. I pray for the families of these fallen heroes. I pray for the soldiers of the 3/2 that have lost their friends. They were more than just friends, they were family. Your loved ones are heroes, never to be forgotten!

Terrie
Mom of Matt
G-co 3/2 SCR

Marti said...

Brothers in arms, friends in life, a team of heroes. There are no words to express the sadness that is in my heart. To their families and friends, your soldiers gave the ultimate sacrifce and will live on forever in your hearts. God Bless them and make you strong to get through this.
The body has died; the spirit it housed will never die.
On earth our dear ones do live through those of us to whom they were so very precious.
excerpt from mourner's prayer

Nancy said...

God bless you all and may your families find peace. We are all praying for you and thinking about you.

Nancy
Mom of Nathan
H-co 3/2 SCR

Anonymous said...

I was horrified to hear of any losses, let alone 6 of them the same day. May God give strength and love to those families of these ...our fallen angels. I wish we could erase what happened, but sadly we can not. We need to be strong for the families of these soldiers, and for all of our soldiers still in the thick of it. I for one will continue my prayers for the safety of the soldier

Harringtonsmom

Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, bring comfort and peace to the families...my heart just breaks....

Lori B

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you and the loss of your loved ones. I pray God will give you comfort and strength. Your son's sacrific will never be forgotten. Hold your memories of him near and dear to your heart. Be proud of his service to our country and honor his name everyday.
Many Prayers going out for the families of our Fallen Hero's.

Debra
Mom of Kris
B-Co 1/2 SCR

Anonymous said...

I wish more than anything someone could guarantee that this would be the last of the Fallen Angels. They risk their lives for us everyday and some pay the biggest price of all. They are truly angels. I pray for all the families, friends, acquaintances, and anyone who is affected by these fallen angels. We may not know them personally but we know others who know them, others who love them, therefore I love them too. They watch out for us and for our loved ones. I wish everyone would be taken out of Iraq and brought home. I pray every night for everyone over there. I pray by name for my other half, I wish I could pray by name for all of them. Each time I hear of a fallen angel it hurts more and more knowing mine could be next. They are all brave, amazing, and strong people. They are over there for a reason, God put them there, God will bring them home to us. All we can do is keep on praying, keep positive, keep them positive.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to everyone who loves, supports, and prays for our soldiers and their families.
The bodily remains of my son, Sgt. Zachary W. McBride, is in one of the pictured flag draped caskets. The wound in our hearts is just weeks old and the sense of loss is immense. I do take comfort knowing that I will see him again in heaven, but for now to know that I will not see him or hear his voice or hold him again in this world is just so hard.
I am forever proud of him and my love for him has not died but lives on for eternity.
So please continue to love and support our brave soldiers and hug them every chance you get. They are all heroes.

Mom of Zack McBride
HHC 3/2 SCR
KIA 1-9-08 Sinsil, Iraq

Anonymous said...

When I read the words again, tears ran freely down my face. I had the opportunity to work with these highly trained and intelligent soldiers. Each was unique and benificially to the team in more ways than one. Unfortunately, I don't know their families like their brothers and sister because I was attached to RECON; thus I open my home to the families of our fallen comrades and the many friends I have made from Germany. The glow on their faces when they talked about "my wife, little girls braids, going hunting, or taking my son fishing."

God Bless you all

Amanda Burton
314th MI BN, 470th MI BDE
San Antonio, TX

Bulldozier said...

In searching the net this morning I found this blog. I read your comments and those who responded. As the father on Jon I am moved for him and his brothers-in-arms. I this picture at Dover of their remains being returned??

Collabman said...

@ Mr. Dozier: thank you sir for your comments on this specific blog. To this day I remember those six warriors, which your son Staff Sgt. Jonathan K. Dozier was a member of...

To answer your question, no sir...that photo is not an actual picture of their remains being returned to Dover. It is simply a picture, a reflection...that would serve to remind us all of the sacrifice these six warriors made on our behalf.

As I reread the words I wrote... they still bring back a great deal of emotion and memory..as if it were the day I wrote them.

Thank you sir for your son's sacrifice and what he did to secure my freedom.

v/r,
- Collabman

Sue Davis said...

Thank you for your comments. I am from the family of Todd E. Davis. We can never replace them in our hearts, but then we don't have to....they died loving what they did and loving our Country.

Marie said...

I just found this message on Facebook's Sinsil Seven page. I want to thank you for your kind words. My son, Sgt Christopher Sanders, was one of the brave warriors you remembered. Your words and the words of others show the impact that losing these warriors had on not only us.
Marie Sanders
Proud Mother of
SGT Christopher Sanders KIA 01-09-08