Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Mental Toll...

Evening...

After sifting through today's news I can tell you from where I sit...it looks like a fairly quiet news day for the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in Iraq. Then again, the photos from tonight indicate there is no rest for the weary.

The 2nd Squadron, 2nd SCR continues to search homes, pound the streets, work the neighborhoods, press the flesh...

Take a close look at the photos. As I look at them I ask myself...mentally, how do our warriors stay sharp and do it day in and day out?

At the end of last week, after all the news came on our fallen angels, I found myself mentally fatigued. Yet, I didn't have to go out the next day on another patrol wondering whether it would be a kinetic operation, hearts and minds work or something in between.

How do they do it and what is the mental toll to be paid? I wonder...do you?

Chris, I love you buddy - your sacrifice and service does not go unnoticed...I remember every day. I am praying for you...

Be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

US soldiers from the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, search an abandoned house in Baghdad, 15 January 2008. US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice made a surprise visit to Baghdad today to press Iraq's leaders for further reforms after parliament passed a key reconciliation law, US officials said. JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images.


A US soldier from the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, searches an abandoned house in Baghdad, 15 January 2008. JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images.


US soldiers from the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, pass a fishmonger's stand as they patrol a neighborhood in Baghdad, 15 January 2008. JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images.


US soldier from the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment secures an area during a patrolling in Baghdad, 15 January 2008. JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images.


A US soldier from the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, secures an area in Baghdad, 15 January 2008. JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images.

3 comments:

Marti said...

I often wonder the samething. It is just one more tribute to pay to the unnerving dedication to of their country.

Anonymous said...

The Mental Toll won't take effect until they have time to think about it. Right now they are pre-occupied with the daily rigors of war and don't have time to think of anything else. Any free time they do have is ususlly spent trying to catch up on well needed sleep. I just hope the Mental Toll don't catch up with them while they are on R&R. He usually can talk to me about anything that bothers him. I hope it won't be any different this R&R.

mrsbanks715 said...

I often wonder about when they get back from their tour and how hard that is going to be. That is the time when they are really going to need us, so that Mental Toll does not catch up to them to it's full extent. I hope and pray every day that when that time comes they can relax and when they do think back on their time, they can think about how dedicated they were not jsut for their country, but for their brothers as well. I am so proud of my husband and I let people know that I am a dedicated and proud Army Wife!