Saturday, July 12, 2008

Networking...

A team photo of 4th PLT, I Co, 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in Diyala Province, Iraq (Photo posted by Matt, 2nd SCR - Feeling of Absurdity blog)


"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Winston Churchill



Evening...

The info hounds have been tracking a number of blogs from members of the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. Some are new and others have been in the fight for quite some time now. Check out my blog list below right for a look at those I read. If you have other blogs covering the 2nd SCR leave a comment (yes, I allow anonymous comments) and I will add it in.

For tonight's blog...I wanted to take a moment and once again say thank you to Ms. Marti for her efforts in creating our on-line support group. Has it been almost a year now? Wow...and what would we have done without this group?

For those of you who don't remember...here was the comment Ms. Marti left on the Stryker Brigade News website that caused me to reach out and say...add us in and we weren't the only ones...

"Our sons, husbands, grandsons etc have left for Iraq this week. The next 15 months will be long and hard for all of us. I would like to form a support group for the second cavalry families. If you are interested email me at mljtexas@yahoo.com.-- Posted by: 2nd Calvary Mom
August 7, 2007 9:18 PM"

Why do I bring this up? For Ms. Collabman and I, this support group has provided a way for us to network and reach out to other 2nd SCR families who are experiencing the same emotions and challenges we are. There have been many times we have all leaned on the virtual shoulders of this group to get through the tough days. How 'bout you? Are you networked in?

If you are new to the deployment journey, I would encourage you to get plugged in to a support group and network within your unit. There are some easy-to-use social networking tools that can help. I think you will find it very useful.

Without a support group, you will go it alone and...it is a tough, tough road to walk alone...trust me. I could write a book about my experiences...

Ms. Marti...tip of the hat to your efforts way back in August of 2007! Well done!

Also, if you are comfortable, drop a comment on my blog and let me know how having a support group has helped you through these first 12 months. You might just encourage someone to get networked...

A couple of photos...


H Company, 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in the Diyala province, Iraq. (Photo courtesy of NH-3/2)


2nd SCR stryker vehicle on station in Diyala province -
11 July 2008. (Photo provided by James Gordon)


...and some articles that caught my eye...

U.S. could step up Iraq pullout in September: report

Iraq handing out cash to people on the streets

As violence recedes in Iraq, rebuilding gets tough

Chris, we saw your status note on your social networking space...and it made us laugh.

Thanks! I love you...

Be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I am also so thankful to have found an on line support group and a community support group. I do not know how I would have made it through the last 12 months with out you all. Thank God for sites like My Space, Facebook and Yahoo IM and AIM so we can "talk" to our soldiers. (and sometimes get a quick glimse into their lives!) Through emails, we have lived through others joy as they see their soldiers come home on R&R. Through emails we have mourned the loss of brave men. Some of us have been lucky enough to meet in person. Some us feel like we "know each other" through our on line communication. All I can say is THANK YOU. Each and every one! On to November!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kudos, but I was just the first brick. All of our group has been the cement that has held us together and will continue to get us through to Novemeber. I appreciate all of you who answered my call.

Anonymous said...

When our loved ones first deployed I found myself frantically on the Internet trying to find anything I could about what was happening. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I "met" other families who were feeling the same thing I was. I truly believe that without the wonderful support I have found online and the wonderful friends I have met I would be a complete basket case! Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Myron, Nancy and Soldier's Mom. This is a hard journey to go on, I am so thankful I didn't have to go it alone!! Thanks to all for pulling me through! Marti, you are the cornerstone of our foundation, not just the first brick. Thank you for bringing us all together. And you Myron, thanks for your endless supply of news. Your time and effort has been so appreciated!
Onword we go, we are almost there!
Terrie
Matt's Mom

Unknown said...

Thank you to all of you who have kept this blog going. I have been silent for so long...not sure why. I look at it nearly every day! I feel as if we are a family of sorts! This on-line support group has kept me sane. I wish I could give you all a big hug and thank you in person. I am deeply grateful to you all. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. Gen Derrick, Wenatchee, WA