Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fallen Angel...


As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives...
And takes away

Praise You in This Storm/Casting Crowns


I winced last night when this snippet rolled across my screen...

"The attack in Baqouba, capital of Diyala province, came ahead of a planned Iraqi military offensive to halt attempts by militants to regroup in the volatile area northeast of Baghdad. Late Tuesday, the U.S. military said an American soldier was killed by a bomb while searching a house in the province Tuesday, but gave no other details."

I thought about what those details might look like, as I struggled to keep my thoughts positive. Not again. Not now. The 2nd SCR and their families have suffered enough...how much more? How deep do we dig?

As I headed off to bed I could not get that awful sound out of my head...the sound made by a clenched fist lightly tapping on a door to deliver the heart breaking details...

Linger over the words...don't turn away. The price he paid was far too high to look the other way...

SSG Jeremy D. Vrooman, 28, of Sioux Falls, S.D., died Jul 15 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated while his unit was conducting combat operations in Kn'an, Iraq. He was assigned to the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

To the family of SSG Vrooman, you are in my prayers and thoughts. My heart grieves for you, your family and your loved ones. We will never forget...

I promise to cherish every breath of freedom that SSG Vrooman paid the ultimate sacrifice to secure...

As difficult as it might be, I will press on...our warriors expect nothing less.

How 'bout you?

v/r,
- Collabman

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Another fallen soldier, other broken hearts. The list is getting too long.sil

Anonymous said...

As the mother of a fallen soldier (Sgt. Zachary McBride 3/2SCR, KIA 1-9-08, Diyala, Iraq), I have a pretty good idea what this family is going through. It is harder than you can imagine, and yet there is no choice, you must go through it. I cry and pray for them as I continue to mourn the loss of our own son. May God continue to have mercy on us as we learn how to go on without our dear loved ones and brave warriors.

Anonymous said...

jeremy was SUCH a good guy, honestly a great guy. he was the last man on earth that should have had his life cut short. he was a leader that stood out amongst the rest. my husband and i had the highest opinion of him and the utmost respect. i am so sorry to see you go jeremy, i feel like i missed out on getting to know you better. its good souls like yours that wanted to bring billy and i back to germany. you will be missed. my heart goes out to your family.
love, the lawvers

Anonymous said...

I got a call from Alex at 11:53pm on Tuesday night. His squad was with this squad when this horrible tragedy occurred. He called to tell me he was okay before I got the news. I am sick beyond words. I feel like the longest three months are ahead of me. Bless these brave young soldiers and screw this war.