Sunday, October 5, 2008

One Unit, One Fight...

2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment Soldiers wait in line to meet and greet country music singer, Trace Adkins, after performing some of his popular songs during a concert at Forward Operating Base Warhorse, located in Diyala, Iraq, Sept. 23, 2008. Forward Operating Base Warhorse is one of several stops on Adkins tour of Iraq.
Spc. Opal Vaughn/14th Public Affairs Detachment


I remember Daddy brought me here when I was eight.
We searched all day to find out where my grand-dad lay.
And when we finally found that cross,
He said: "Son, this is what it cost to keep us free."
Trace Adkins/Arlington


Afternoon...

As the time comes for the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment to start their transition it is also time for me to quietly shut down this blog. I have only a few more to share in the coming week or so...

For many, it is probably - thank goodness! :-)

It has been a ride I will never forget...especially all of the wonderful people I have met virtually via this blog. Thanks for all of your words of encouragement and faithful prayer for Chris and the rest of the 2nd SCR during these 15 months of combat deployment. Ms. Collabman and I appreciate all you have done!

Also, keep an eye out here for a couple of my final blogs...

  • Passing the Torch - Read the heartfelt words from a number of mothers, fathers and loved ones of the 2nd SCR that were penned for the loved ones of the inbound replacement unit for the 2nd SCR. See their thoughts on what to expect and how to cope with a deployment - I wish I would have had this kind of insight last August...
  • Written in Red - Over the last few weeks I have been thinking a lot about our warriors and the emotions that will be flowing as they climb the staircase and board an airplane in Kuwait, an airplane that will take them home to Germany. These men and women have looked forward to this day with great anticipation and excitement for quite some time now. I have too. Finally, headed home and out of harm’s way…but I think there will be more going on here than meets the eye. I have to wonder…

On to today's blog...

I wanted to share a couple of great stories from DVIDS that came out this weekend along with a video of 4th Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment as they inventory a weapons cache in As Wad, Iraq.

The first story is about a father and son serving with the 2nd SCR in Iraq. One word...wow! Give it a read...

The second one talks about a concert Trace Adkins put on at Forward Operating Base Warhorse for our warriors. I am grateful for entertainers who remain humble and give of their time to our warriors. Special thanks to Trace Adkins...

Chris, I love you son and look forward to that next call! I continue to remember your sacrifice every day.

Be safe!

v/r,
Collabman

Father, Son: One Unit, One Fight
By Spc. Ryan Elliott
14th Public Affairs Detachment

Associated Images:
Thumb

1 of 4

Thumb

2 of 4

Thumb

3 of 4

Thumb

4 of 4



Despite already having served 15 years of service to country, Staff Sgt. Brian Pritchett, with 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, re-enlisted indefinitely two months ago. Now, following in his father’s footsteps, Spc. Bobby Pritchett, a driver with 3rd Squadron, 2SCR, is doing the same.

With his right hand raised and the other locked by his side, standing at attention with a smile on his face, Pritchett began to recite the Oath of Enlistment during a re-enlistment ceremony at Forward Operating Base Warhorse, located in Diyala, Iraq, Sept. 19, 2008.

Col. John RisCassi, 2SCR regimental commander, presided over the ceremony.

Soldiers re-enlist all the time. Volunteering to continue to serve one’s nation while deployed is also very common. But when both father and son, both in the same unit, re-enlist at the same time, it is history in the making.

“This means a lot to me,” said Brian. “At first I was apprehensive about my son joining. But he told me he was going to join and he did. The determination he showed me let me know that he wanted to do something with his life and to help protect his country.”

Most military members joined the service straight out of high school. Aspirations of earning a lot of money, getting a free education and traveling the world are many reasons for young adults to join up and serve.

“I initially enlisted because I wanted to see the world,” said Bobby. “I wanted to see what I could do in the Army and what I could do for my country. It means a lot to me to serve. I am going to keep doing it until I’m done.”

For this auspicious occasion, having his father present at the re-enlistment ceremony was very important for Bobby.

“Having my father here was very special for me,” Bobby smiled. “I haven’t seen him in over a year, so it was very important for me to have him at my re-enlistment ceremony.”

The two Pritchetts, father and son, are not the only ones with a passion to serve. Service to country runs in the family.

“My father was in the Air Force,” Brian added, “he served his country and now I and my son are doing the same. I only wish that I had known that my son was going to re-enlist during this tour. I re-enlisted indefinitely two months ago but I would have waited so that we could have been sworn in together.”

Looking toward the future, Brian anticipates great things for his son.

“I hope that my son will continue to serve his country and one day, he will hopefully become an NCO and lead troops like I have,” Brian grinned.

======================

Trace Adkins, American Man
By Spc. Opal Vaughn
14th Public Affairs Detachment

Associated Images:
Thumb

1 of 5

Thumb

2 of 5

Thumb

3 of 5

Thumb

4 of 5



A tall, robust man emerges from the crowd. Plainly dressed in a green shirt and khakis, neatly kept goatee and long pony-tailed hair, Trace Adkins, country music singer, takes up his guitar and strums a few strings.

Whoops and hollers, even screams of “I love you, Trace,” roars from the crowd.

“Well uh, I guess I should introduce myself,” Adkins smiles as the crowd of 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment Soldiers goes wild during a concert in the dining facility at Forward Operating Base Warhorse, located in Diyala, Iraq, Sept. 23, 2008.

The waiting is over. The crowd soon starts to hush as Adkins plucks a couple more strings and begins his first song, “Merry for Money.”

For over a decade now, Trace Adkins has made a name for himself in the contemporary country music scene with his instantly recognizable baritone voice. Even with fortune and fame, Adkins insists on remaining humble and true to self.

His tour of Iraq is no exception.

“I’m not going to pat myself on the back and say that I’m that big of a deal,” Adkins stated.

Even when stricken with a cold flu, Adkins continues to push himself in support of the troops.

“Since I’ve had a record deal, I’ve only canceled three shows because I broke my leg and the other two because I had emergency surgery,” Adkins stated.

“I’ve done shows with kidney stones, broke legs and lots of other injuries, but I just don’t cancel shows,” Adkins said clearing his throat. “And I know I didn’t do a good job today and I feel bad about that but my voice is completely gone.”

Shaking his head, Adkins continued, “I very seldom ever get sick and this is the most in-opportune time for it to happen. But the medics here have been taking real good care of me, and I appreciate that.”

Before Adkins became a country music superstar he was just another average guy working hard to make a living. The Louisiana native sang in a gospel quartet, played football for Louisiana Tech and worked as a pipe fitter on an off-shore drilling rig before deciding to move to Nashville in 1992. Three years later, Adkins was signed to a major record label.

Married now for over 20 years, Adkins music deals with love, loss, sex and blue-collar realities. A few of his well-known songs are “Honky-Tonk Badonkadonk,” “Til’ the Last Shots Fired,” “American Man” and “Fighting Words.” All of his music explores the good times in life and the bad times in life.

When it comes to performing his hit songs, Adkins prefers to play them live.

“My favorite part about performing is the instant gratification that you get when you do something that a crowd likes,” Adkins stated. “When you’re in the studio, there’s no one there clapping or having a good time. I prefer doing live shows because I love to interact with the fans.”

Looking around at all the Soldiers faces, Adkins began to strum his guitar and close with the last song of the evening, “Arlington.”

But before he began to sing, he took a moment to say a couple of words to the Soldiers. He began by saying, “I’m here on behalf of the mothers and the fathers, the husbands and the wives, and the children and the friends - just to say thanks.”

“On behalf of a million people, I say thank you, and I support you,” Adkins added. “There are a lot of ‘But People,’ but you’ve got to put your money where your mouth is. You cannot just go running around saying you support the troops and not actually get your boots on the ground and not do it.”

Adkins continued to address the Soldiers while he played his guitar.

“I would feel guilty if I walked around saying that I supported the troops and not do it. I support you guys, period.”

A roar of applause and whistles hailed throughout the dining facility, and then Adkins began to sing “Arlington” to close the concert out.

With a standing ovation, Adkins stood and said, “Thank you and God bless you.”

After the concert was complete, Adkins remained behind to take pictures and sign autographs for Soldiers.

======================

B-roll of U.S. Soldiers from 4th Platoon Outlaw Troop, 4th Squadron, Stryker Cavalry Regiment (Outlaw 4/2 SCR) inventorying caches found by IP's in As Wad, Iraq. U.S. Navy video by Petty Officer 2nd Class Angela McLane.

No comments: