Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fallen Angel...


"Regardless of what one may think of the war, the men and women over there are fighting for us, their countrymen. They have earned our gratitude."

Major Andrew Olmsted, who was killed in Iraq on Jan. 3, 2008

Afternoon...

Well, we try and convince ourselves that it won't happen again...but it did. I saw the announcement before I blogged about Chris' R&R but I couldn't get these words out of my mind....

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier....

What words can I say to make it OK or take away the pain? Nothing. This blog has been ongoing for 10 months and these continue to be the most painful blogs to write. I dread seeing the alerts...make them stop, won't you?

I can hear the roll call at the funeral for SPC Mixon...and the silence, the deafening silence that follows his name...

My heart goes out to the Mixon family, friends and fellow soldiers. We will never forget SPC Mixon and his sacrifice. We will remember and America will be forever grateful.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Spc. Justin R. Mixon, 22, of Bogalusa, La., died June 1 in Baghdad Iraq, of wounds suffered when his vehicle encountered an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.


v/r,
- Collabman


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Too, quiet, no news, a false sense of hope that we will not lose another warrior. Our Stryker family has once again lost one of its own. My prayers are with the family, friends and brothers in arms of Spc Mixon.

Anonymous said...

sitting in my office and can´t help but cry..

Anonymous said...

Thank you Justin for everything! We will miss you - and all the best for Tia and little Tony!

The roll call today at the memorial service was so heartbreakin

We will never forget you!