Monday, June 16, 2008

Back to the Sandbox...

War Dogs
Dog Company, 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment

Evening...

I seem to have misplaced my battle rhythm - you haven't seen it have you? If so drop it in a comment for me...

Chris is back in the sandbox and just as he is working to get back in the fight, I too am working to get my rhythm back. It's not easy but I will get there. I already have the info hounds back in the hunt for any/all info related to the 2nd SCR...let's see what they come up with in the coming days.

The photo you see above is of the patch that Chris' unit had made once they were on the ground in Iraq. He had it on the back of his rucksack that he brought home on R&R. I liked the way it looked so I snapped a photo of it to help kick off my blogging for these next few months - what do you think?


Above is a photo of Chris enjoying breakfast before departing for the airport...and Iraq. Special thanks to Ms. Erin for sharing it. Oh dark thirty came early for both of them.

Let me leave you with a snippet from an AP article tonight. Positive signs for sure but still very fragile. Enjoy the read...the info hounds are looking for new information...more to come on the 2nd SCR when it becomes available.

By ROBERT H. REID
Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD - Signs are emerging that Iraq has reached a turning point. Violence is down, armed extremists are in disarray, government confidence is rising and sectarian communities are gearing up for a battle at the polls rather than slaughter in the streets. Those positive signs are attracting little attention in the United States, where the war-weary public is focused on the American presidential contest and skeptical of talk of success after so many years of unfounded optimism by the war's supporters.

Unquestionably, the security and political situation in Iraq is fragile. U.S. commanders warn repeatedly that security gains are reversible.

Still, Iraq is by almost any measure safer today than at any time in the past three years. Fears that the country will disintegrate have receded — though they have not disappeared.

---------------------------

Chris, I love you buddy - be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your battle rhythm will return. It's kind of like riding a bike. Once you have it you never lose it. It just takes a little while to get steady again. I found that after David returned to Iraq my rhythm didn't take nearly as long to get back. I was relieved about that. Remember how long it took for us to get into rhythm.

I like the idea of the patch at the beginning of your blog. It will become your trademark.

Anonymous said...

As a first-time Army parent trying to cope with my soldier's first deployment, I am curious to know more about developing a "battle rhythm." Can you give me some clues about what you mean?

Collabman said...

Anonymous - great question and thanks for your warriors service!

Ck out my first blog on this subject:
http://collabman.blogspot.com/
2007/08/battle-rhythmnot-there-
yet.html

Note the comments for that particular blog...

Simply put...managing your emotional, physical and spiritual well-being on a routine, daily basis to ensure you stay healthy, balanced, on an even keel.

Without a battle rhythm, I find my day-to-day activities, to include my sleep patterns, are overwhelmed/filled with stress, anxiety, worry, etc. I can easily become a mess :-)

I hope this helps...one of the best things is to find a support group and share, share, share. Reach out..don't go it alone!

v/r,
- Collabman