Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Fallen Angel...

For the past six months, I had tried to convince myself that a fallen angel blog would get easier to write over time. Wouldn't it? The tears would disappear...the pain would not be as intense...the heartache would be short-lived. Anyone?

I was wrong...

I had seen the news alert a few days ago indicating a Multi-National Division-Baghdad soldier had been killed by small arms fire. As I always do...I quietly said to no one in particular...please, not another warrior from the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. We have had our share...paid the price. How much blood is enough? The last time it was six of our finest, KIA. No way - not again.

I was wrong...

It's easy to blog about markets opening and schools being renovated in Baghdad. It's easy to write about Iraqi children, smiling as they receive new school supplies. It's easy to count to ten over an article from Rolling Stone or get frustrated with folks here in the U.S. who seem to have forgotten that we have men and women in harms way, every day. It's easy to think the risk has subsided and we won't suffer any additional losses...

I was wrong...

Make no mistake...the pain of a fallen angel still cuts like a knife...my heart still aches for the family and their loved ones...and my resolve to stay in the fight and provide the best support I can for Chris and the 2nd SCR is still unwavering.

Please, spend some time with the announcement below. Even more importantly, lift the Perez family up in your prayers tonight...they are hurting beyond words...

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Spc. Orlando A. Perez, 23, of Houston, TX, died Feb. 24 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered from small arms fire during dismounted operations. He was assigned to the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.


The Company F, 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry soldier will be honored at a memorial ceremony at Rose Barracks chapel in Vilseck on Friday, starting at 11 a.m., Joint Multinational Training Command officials said.

These wounds just don't seem to heal...and this is more difficult than I ever imagined.

I wished I had known...

---------------------------------------------

Chris, I love you son - be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Collabman,

thanks for the warmth in your words, for sharing your feelings with us.
Thank you so much for this blog!

Chris

German Army Reserves

Marti said...

Once again a family of one of our brave warriors had heart breaking news. It never gets easier to read of our fallen angels. They truly are the heroes of this war. I came across these words and thought they would be very appropriate at this time:
" The body has died; the spirit it housed will
never die. On earth our dear ones do live
on through those of us to whom they were
so very precious."

Anonymous said...

Myron,
somehow it's even harder as time goes on. We all know that freedom isn't free, but what is the price?
There must be a special place in heaven for soldiers, it is well earned. The Perez family is in my prayers.

Tom