Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Different Looking Iraq?

A picture released by the US military on February 9, shows US soldiers watching as a building is destroyed by an air strike in Diyala province near Baquba, northeast of Baghdad on February 4. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has said in Baghdad he was in favor of a short pause in troop drawdowns from Iraq after about 30,000 soldiers have been sent home by July. (AFP/HO/File/Ricky Bloom)

Evening...

So, how is your battle rhythm? Never gets any easier does it? For me and my lovely bride, we work everyday to pace ourselves, stay on an even keel and look to God for strength. No surprise but...some days are more difficult than others.

I continue to look for my Deployment Guide for Parents...I seem to have misplaced it. Wait, did I get one? Did you?

Tonight's blog...

There is something about a note or phone call from Chris that really encourages us. I expect it's the same for you all too.

Here is Chris' latest note from Baghdad. It's a look at life during combat operations. Never pretty, never comfortable - but always real...

Enjoy!

Subject: Chris sent you a message...
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:37:10
To: Nancy
--------------------
Re: Miss you

Hey mom!

Haha are you serious?! Hah Robo's sitting right next to me and I told him. Thank you! We'll love the Caedmon's Call CDs.

I DO have my computer. It's...awesome. I'll give Black the two cameras before he goes on leave next week, too.

Haha nope, no pity here. I don't think I've showered in a week. They're broken here and whenever we go to the FOB we don't get enough time to shower there, so I take baby wipe-wipe downs. It's not that bad since we're not really sweating all the time, but it still sucks.

I KNOW. 3 months till R&R...still too far away. I can't wait.

I love you! Talk to you soon
Chris

==================

Before you close tonight, spend a moment reading an article from the Associated Press - The US troop surge, a year later

BAGHDAD - A year ago in Baghdad: Shiite militiamen and Sunni insurgents owned entire neighborhoods and key areas beyond. Iraq's government was adrift, and U.S. commanders weighed the real possibility of being trapped in a full-scale civil war.

A year later — through a mix of military might, new allies and some fortunate timing — Iraq looks very different.

After a sharp initial spike in military and civilian casualties, the numbers make a strong case that the surge generally accomplished its main goal.

Think our warriors from the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment are not making a difference? I couldn't be prouder. Is it perfect...not at all - there is still much work to be done.

Chris, we love you and enjoyed your note! We too, can't wait for your R&R.

Be strong, keep your head on a swivel and be safe!

v/r,
- Collabman

3 comments:

Marti said...

My parent's deployment guide must be in the same place as my ever allusive parent's guide.
I am glad that Chris got his computer. Hopefully, you will hear from him a little more often. All the guys must smell of the same perfume and haven't noticed the lack of showers. Seems to be something the recruiting officers left out.
Our 2nd cavalry has definitely made a difference. As the weather warms up let's pray that no new bugs show themselves.

Collabman said...

Ms. Marti - thanks as always for your comment and participation in this blog...it helps us to know we are not alone in this journey...

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

IMing with Thomas right now, he went on guard duty and will be back on later. I said to him, "do you realize that you guys have really made a difference there, you should be proud, we are back here." He said "that's what we do, dad." Their modesty is astounding. Just doing the job. By the way these guys still have the Infantry mindset....when it gets too thick they'll scrape the dirt off with a Kabar!!

Keep up the great work Myron!! You and your family are in my prayers.
Tom