Monday, July 16, 2007

Light in the Darkness...


Sunday was quite an emotional day for my family...but even more so for me. It was a day filled with laughter, smiles, hugs, words of encouragement...but also tears that rolled out from deep within my heart...I can only wonder if this is the way it will be for the next 15 months...

After a wonderful, uplifting morning in God's house, upwards of 25-30 people joined us downstairs for a time of prayer. I was so very honored and touched to have Steve and Becky, Darrin, Ron and KC, Mary and Alan, Neil and Lana...and so many of our kids from our young adult community...wow - nothing like being wrapped in so many support arms. Chris was presented with a book his mother made for him that was filled with words of encouragement, scripture and pictures from family, friends and even people who really didn't know him...but who still wanted to show their support for him and his Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT). This book, called Light in the Darkness, will fit nicely into his cargo pocket of his Army Combat Uniform (ACU) and can be pulled out anytime he has a break while on patrol in Iraq. I trust that it will be dog-eared from frequent use and warn from the harsh conditions he will be operating in...

I also presented Chris with 12 Angel Coins that were given to me by CD, a great friend I have known for a number of years. These coins have become a tradition in our work environment and are given out to the men and women going into harms way. They are not special or magical but will serve as a reminder to Chris and his Stryker team that an army of warriors are praying stateside for their safety every day. CD related a number of stories from men and women alike who have safely returned with their coin as smooth as glass from the constant rubbing...the ability to touch the outline of an angel and know that you are being prayed for daily...what a powerful reminder indeed for Chris and his Stryker team. I encouraged him to carry his Angel Coin with him and to share the other 11 with those men in his Stryker team that will be on patrol each day.

Light in the Darkness...as this journey unfolds, I am drawn to a lyric in a recent song from Mercy Me (Hold Fast)....

What I've learned in my life...One thing greater than my strife...Is his grasp...So hold fast....

This is what I am doing every day...this is all I can do now...hold fast...

v/r,
- Collabman

No comments: