Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Journey Begins...


This weekend Chris will be home on leave for a few days before he and his U.S. Army Combat Team deploy to Iraq. It is still a few weeks before he will be boots on the ground but my stomach is already doing flip flops when I think about the next 15 months. How will I respond when we go days without hearing from him? Where is the deployment-101 book for the parents? Did I not stand in that line when it was being handed out? I guess not...but Nancy (my wife) and I will now stand in a long line of parents who have experienced the effects of a son or daughter deploying to a hostile environment...in harms way...every day...to do the right thing for our great country and the freedom we take for granted.

When Nancy saw this picture on Chris' Facebook site, she felt compelled to put some words with it. So, if you think of it in the coming days, pray for Chris and his combat team as they prepare to deploy...and for us as we prepare to pray, wonder, fret, laugh and ask God for strength through this all...and so the journey begins...

Baby Face in Battle Gear


He’s Baby Face in battle gear,

His vision keen, his mission clear:

He fights my fight, your battle too,

For stars and stripes: red, white and blue.

No wait, that’s not entirely true.

To fight is what he’s made to do.


When he was little, three or four,

Green GI Joe men lined the floor.

With forts and cannons, guns and Joe’s,

He fired shots, delivered blows.

He showed no mercy, had no fear,

GI Joe is why he’s here.


When he was older: seven, eight,

Battleship was what he played.

He sank destroyers, carriers, too;

And submarines in waters blue.

He showed no mercy, had no fear,

Battleship has brought him here.


Soon after that, he learned to pitch.

In baseball he had found his niche.

“He loves the pressure, strikes abound

When Chris is on that pitcher’s mound.”

He showed no mercy, had no fear,

Baseball is why Chris is here.


And then in high school we could see

Chris had a love for history.

He had a teacher, tough but tame,

(Mr. Barnhardt was his name)

Who showed no mercy, had no fear,

Mr. Barnhardt led him here.


And then when he was seventeen

Chris left to wear the Army green.

He knew what he was made to do

And that he had to go for you.

He showed great courage, little fear.

Our fight for freedom brought him here.


He’s Baby Face in battle gear,

You and I are why he’s here.


v/r,
Collabman

6 comments:

sjveith said...

Collabman ... I will be praying daily for Chris and your family. I appreciate the courage of Chris and every member of our Armed Forces engaged in this noble work.

Anonymous said...

Myron and Nancy,
Chris is in my thoughts and prayers as are you as a family. God is in control and we must believe that He will make good out of this evil war. I already hear of good everyday as my little brother is currently serving there as well.

God bless the US Army and all those who serve!

Marti said...

My son David is also part of the second cavalry regiment. He is with the second squadron. Like you, the next 15 months will be filled with fear for our sons (all of them) and what lies ahead. David is my only child and saying good by to him at the airport this time was probably the worst day of my life. But, I will hold onto the words that he said to me before he walked away. "You need to be strong for me. I won't be able to do my job if I have to worry about you, too" So, I will go about my days for the months to come, with what I am sure will hold many tears just because, and know that our brave soldiers are doing the job they have chosen and are in the thoughts of many who know them and don't. I know there are many support groups out there, but I would like to try and form one for those of us from the 2ndCR. If you are interested please email at mljtexas@yahoo.com

Collabman said...

Marti - thanks for the comment and the words about David. I can only imagine how difficult it was for you to say so long at the airport. We will be praying for David and the entire team.
I am so very glad you have reached out with interest in forming a support group. Please count Nancy and I in...I will contact you at the email address you provided.

Your thoughts and comments are always welcomed on my blog...always...

v/r,
- Collabman

Anonymous said...

Nancy and Myron,

Chris is in our thoughts and prayers as is your whole family. I pray the Lord send his guardian of angles to surround Chris and his fellow soldiers.

Collabman said...

Jim - Thanks for the words of encouragement and prayers. They mean more than words can say...

Thanks buddy!

v/r,
- Collabman