Friday, March 28, 2008

Fallen Angels...


"God, my God, I cry out
Your beloved needs You now
God, be near, calm my fear
And take my doubt


I will lift my eyes to the Healer
Of the hurt I hold inside
I will lift my eyes, lift my eyes to You"
Bebo Norman and Jason Ingram

This pain never goes away. Some would say that the hurt we hold inside for the families who have lost a loved one just goes with the territory. Maybe it does but that definitely does not make it any easier...

As I read the flood of notices yesterday afternoon rippling across the web I was heartbroken to learn it was two of our own. I attended a National Hockey League game last night and as our national anthem was played my tears freely rolled...while it was playing I looked at those around me...they had no idea of the sacrifice that had been given. Many probably wouldn't even care...I wondered if they could even grasp the meaning of words like" Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave...O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

Well, my wife and I did...and I expect if you are reading these words you do too...

This never, ever gets easy..let the words wash over you and remember that these announcements are far more than numbers in a conflict. These are men who paid the ultimate price for you and me...you and me...

For the Molina and Gamboa families our prayers and thoughts are with you in this very difficult time. Thank you for your son's sacrifice...we will not forget...

Spc. Joshua A. Molina, 20, of Houston, Texas, died Mar. 27 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when his vehicle encountered an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

Staff Sgt. Joseph D. Gamboa, 34, of Yigo, Guam, died Mar. 25 of wounds suffered when he came under indirect fire in Baghdad, Iraq. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.


In times like these...I will lift my eyes to the Healer of the hurt I hold inside...

v/r,
- Collabman

4 comments:

Marti said...

As once again I read of fallen angels and think of the heartbreak that their families now endure am I being selfish to say thank God that my son is home and away from that horrible place even if it is for a short time.

The pain and empty feeling will never go away. Time will only make it bearable. These young warriors will live on in the hearts of those they leave behind.

Anonymous said...

may God continue to bring comfort...sometimes you just can not say anything...as I listened to the song, all I can do is cry for these families....

Lori B

Nancy said...

God bless these brave soldiers and their families. The news leaves a hole in our hearts and we grieve with you and pray for you. Proud Army Mother of Nathan

Stryker Mom in OR said...

As the mother of a fallen soldier (Sgt. Zachary McBride 3/2SCR, KIA 1-9-08, Diyala, Iraq), I know all too well what these families are going through. It is harder than you can imagine, and yet there is no choice, you must go through it. I cry and pray for them as I do still for us. May God continue to have mercy on us as we learn how to go on without our dear sons, brothers, husbands, fathers. Even though I believe with assurance that I will see him again in heaven, the days here are forever changed. There is still a sense of emptiness. Will that go away? I don't know.